Respected Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE THEIR DOG ALLERGY TESTED FOR ITCHING? GOOD RESULTS?

@mousiegirl wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

Yup!  We went to a dog allergist!  He tested as being allergic to dust mites specific to New England. Apparently had he been raised where he was born, Florida, he would have had immunities built up. (And maybe if he wasn't in such a dusty house, too ...)

@PurpleBunny  Where have you been hiding, I was shocked to see your nic come up.  I hope it isn't dust mites, because I know we have those, lol.

Hi mouse!  EVERYBODY has dust mites -  unfortunately. Initially I was mortified thinking I was a slob, but the doctor set me straight. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Trusted Contributor

I'm so glad you asked this question!  We have 5 little dogs and 1 of the almost 2 year old terriers has the same thing.  The prednisone helped for a little while and now stopped helping. 

It's hard to eliminate foods with the 5 of them, but I tried my best and still came up with nothing.  Our vet said the testing takes a long time, but I'm at my wits' end.  She looks so sad, we have to do something. 

Honored Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

I'm so glad you asked this question!  We have 5 little dogs and 1 of the almost 2 year old terriers has the same thing.  The prednisone helped for a little while and now stopped helping. 

It's hard to eliminate foods with the 5 of them, but I tried my best and still came up with nothing.  Our vet said the testing takes a long time, but I'm at my wits' end.  She looks so sad, we have to do something. 

@Tori3569  Both of mine are terriers also, and apparently, this is common among this type of dog.  As I understand it, it takes a few weeks after the blood test is taken to figure out what is causing the allergy.  Talk to your Vet, if you havn't already but you probably have, and if your dog isn't on any med, the test most likely could be performed soon, schedules allowing.

I have to wait a month because mine is on a med that isn't working, but it has to clear her system before a blood test.  She is suffering and so am I, especially at night, the whole bed vibrates with her scratching, terrible for her and me.  I get up and spritz her itchy areas, and that works for a few hours.  Since my pups eat no grains, food is not the issue, as far as I know.

Frequent Contributor

I have a friend whose dog is on steroid shots and she makes her own dog food with boiled chicken and rice. He is better.