Respected Contributor

What are good games for a 6 yo on my iPad?

They have to older games, my brother gave me his old iPad so it won't accept newer things. It always says "need an iOS 6 or newer". My grandson likes to play on the iPad in the car but he is tired of Angry Birds. I have no idea what to get. I'm new to the App Store. I don't have a smart phone either (Unbelievable I know!).
Super Contributor

Re: What are good games for a 6 yo on my iPad?

I have an iPad 1 gen that I no longer use. I'm pretty sure it is running ios6? But I'd have to check. I loaded it up with apps for my grandkids so they don't touch mine!! I'm a big fan of the Toca Boca apps, my grandsons (both 5) love them. They are 2.99 but just last week they were all half price and sometimes one is free for a few days, TOCA hair salon, TOCA town, Toca robot lab and TOCA lab are just a few. TOCA lab is my favorite!! Lol some of their newer apps don't work with the older os. Also, Sago has some fun apps for kids and some are free! Hope this helped.
Respected Contributor

Thanks. How do you know about sales? I did get an iTunes gift card with rewards points so I have that to spend.
Respected Contributor

I do not mean this to insult your question. I don't have an answer to that!

I found time in the car to be super educational for my daughter. As she looked out the window, I taught her so much stuff. She rode around a lot with my parents and they taught her things too.

She got to learn about the world around her. I taught her street signs and what they meant (like speed limit). I taught her the names of stores and businesses around her. We talked about sky, grass, cars, etc.

My own opinion is that kids get plenty of time in front of DVD's and video games. If you asked her now, my 27 year old daughter LOVED her rides in the car and things we talked about.

I cringe when I see kids watching DVD's or hand held stuff in the car.

Hyacinth Smile

Super Contributor

games.. i guess education games is best one for little kid

Respected Contributor

On 11/16/2014 hyacinth003 said:

I found time in the car to be super educational for my daughter. As she looked out the window, I taught her so much stuff. She rode around a lot with my parents and they taught her things too.

She got to learn about the world around her. I taught her street signs and what they meant (like speed limit). I taught her the names of stores and businesses around her. We talked about sky, grass, cars, etc.

My own opinion is that kids get plenty of time in front of DVD's and video games. If you asked her now, my 27 year old daughter LOVED her rides in the car and things we talked about.

Hyacinth Smile

So you don't have an answer to my question but took the opurtunity to lecture me on how I SHOULD be interacting with my grandson. I agree with everything you said. And, it works fine on the days that the bluebirds are circling my minivan.
Esteemed Contributor

He might be a little to old for this. But how is he with writing. Mr pencil is good but that might lean to more of a preschool age. I will ask what my six year old nephew likes tomorrow for you. I think he likes a ice hockey game but not sure what else.
Super Contributor

I actually checked my ipad 1 and you're right, it's running some version of iOS 5. My grandsons have just turned five within the last few months and both love the Toca Boca stuff. They are less like games (like angry birds), more like just interactive play with no score or winning or losing, Come to think of it, maybe at 6, he's too old for these, not sure, I can tell you my grandksons love them. I actually follow them on facebook where they announce sales or free apps. It seems like some people think that our kids or grandkids are sitting mindlessly in front of an iPad all day. I tend to think these are people that don't have young children or grands. Both of my grandsons started school this year and there are ipads in the classroom.
Respected Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Dusty1 said:
On 11/16/2014 hyacinth003 said:

Hyacinth Smile

So you don't have an answer to my question but took the opurtunity to lecture me on how I SHOULD be interacting with my grandson. I agree with everything you said. And, it works fine on the days that the bluebirds are circling my minivan.

All I did was give my own opinion. And I firmly stand by it. Use the time in a more positive way with children. They get plenty of time with electronics. Time with a parent or grandparent is more precious.

What did the world do before ipads to entertain and interact with children in a car? They interacted with their children, that's what.

As a kid, my brother and I spent HOURS in a car traveling with our parents. WITHOUT an ipad, dvd, or other electronic device.

I didn't post to insult. I just did it to give another thought to a concept I am personally passionate about.

Hyacinth Smile

Esteemed Contributor

I asked my mom what my six year old nephew likes to play. He likes sports like ice hockey and soccer. It is all well and good to say use the time to bond. If your the only parent and the driver in the car you need to keep your eyes on the road and not be distracted.