Esteemed Contributor

Re: What age should baby start daycare?

It makes me sad when babies under one year have to be in daycare. Everyone has the right to make their own decisions but I remember how important that first year was and how defenseless and vulnerable infants are in that first early year of their life.

Valued Contributor

Not a fan of daycare. 

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Just wow! So one shouldn't have kids, if the mom can't stay home to raise them? In this world, it's almost impossible to have ONE income and survive.  (not counting single mom's who get child support) Mom's who stay home don't mean they are great at it. Some do the minimum, and watch tv or are on social media all day. I hope that some of you don't fall on hard times, and are forced to work and get childcare. Some of you are judging only have stayed at home. I have done both (worked and stayed at home) and they both have pros/cons. Those that stay home until their kids graduate, I hope you have a back up plan. You have been out of the workforce for so long, it's hard to get any job. Your life can also take a turn, and you may get divorced or widowed. 

Thank you for saying the truth!!!  This is the best response on this entire thread. 

Occasional Visitor

I think minimum 2 years of age is sufficient to join a daycare. There are various daycare centers which provide there services for children between 6 weeks to 10 years. I am suggesting 2 years from my personal experience. For more information you can check over here.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not comfortable with daycare for infants at all.

Since they both have jobs, seems like she COULD consider staying home with her own baby.

I changed my whole work situation so that my daughter NEVER went to daycare.  I am a nurse, so I changed to only weekends so that my husband was with her when I worked.  I have never regretted NOT using daycare, especially for an infant.  I actually found I COULD NOT do it!

You only get ONE chance to be with your own baby.  If you and your husband are willing to babysit, maybe they could relocate closer to you still within distance of the jobs.  That would be fabulous for that child.  My belief strongly is that babies need their mother.  The best alternative would be the child's grandparents!

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unbelievable that some think a woman has to only be a mother or only a career person.  No one ever suggests a man chose between a career and a child.  We're in the 21st century.  Women now understand they need to be able to stand on their own.  More than 1/2 of marriages don't last, spouses get ill and pass away.  If you can't support yourself and your kids on your own, if you aren't saving for you own retirement, you're in a risky situation. 

Being out of the work force for several years isn't an option for women who want to be able to earn a decent paycheck and have a secure retirement.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

Unbelievable that some think a woman has to only be a mother or only a career person.  No one ever suggests a man chose between a career and a child.  We're in the 21st century.  Women now understand they need to be able to stand on their own.  More than 1/2 of marriages don't last, spouses get ill and pass away.  If you can't support yourself and your kids on your own, if you aren't saving for you own retirement, you're in a risky situation. 

Being out of the work force for several years isn't an option for women who want to be able to earn a decent paycheck and have a secure retirement.

Yep. 

Honored Contributor

My oldest daughter and I lived together in a fairly large colonial house after she had her second baby.  She is a CPA.  She sat for the NJ daycare license, quit her job and ran a day care center from our home for six years until her second child was school age.  She was qualified for five day care children and we were always full.

Because we were sharing expenses and I was working full time, we were able to do it financially.   

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

My oldest daughter and I lived together in a fairly large colonial house after she had her second baby.  She is a CPA.  She sat for the NJ daycare license, quit her job and ran a day care center from our home for six years until her second child was school age.  She was qualified for five day care children and we were always full.

Because we were sharing expenses and I was working full time, we were able to do it financially.   

----------

I have no idea what this post even means.  The OP question is not answered and a lot of irrelevant information is given out.  It makes no sense unless something was left out.

Honored Contributor

@Christina042 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

----------

I have no idea what this post even means.  The OP question is not answered and a lot of irrelevant information is given out.  It makes no sense unless something was left out.

From the way it reads to me Lilac's daughter opted to start her own daycare to have an income as opposed to putting her child into daycare. 

I grew up in daycare with a divorced Mom and hated it.  I was blessed to be able to give my son a full time stay at home Mom until he was 15 and then I went back to work. 

Now for my 15 month old granddaughter my son and his wife did the numbers and she as an RN makes more money than he does as a Chef in their small town.  So my son has been a stay at home Dad for her first year and will continue doing that until they feel comfortable with daycare.  No plans to change at this time.  He was doing all the cooking before anyway and still does.  Both share cleaning and my DIL comes home every day on her lunch hour to be with the both of them since she is only five minutes away at the hospital.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."