Respected Contributor

Re: Teacher Gifts??? Got good ideas?

I think gift cards to Target are a great idea. I give gift cards to our local convenience store which is a legendary chain (Wawa.) If you are in the Delaware Valley area, these are sought-after gifts. (I give them in birthday cards and my clients fight over them--until I remind them they'll get one for their birthday IF they are good.)

Starbucks, Amazon, Dunkin' Donuts are also good. Everyone loves a treat, and you can make them affordable.

Valued Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Reever said: These people have very good jobs, pensions and an inordinate amount of days off. I do not give them any gifts. Sorry if I sound like an old tim curmudgeon but they make more money than I do and no one gives me a gift for doing my job.
Wow. I work an 80-hour week, on a 194-day contract. I'm pulled into work unpaid throughout summer off-contract time, my salary was frozen for 5+ years, and now my pension is too, because people don't want to pay taxes toward public education. I don't make enough to live in nor commute to the community where I teach. And I spend huge portions of my own salary providing students with school supplies because their parents can't or don't and our school's budget is so tight it cannot afford to buy supplies. I also feed and clothe many of my students, again because some of their parents can't or don't. I cannot afford to have children of my own. But it's so nice to see how appreciated I am for what I've done for your child. And how "rich" I am. Ask your kid, he/she knows the truth. I make 1/4 of what anyone with my level of education and experience pulls down in the corporate world. And my work product is far more precious, or should be. The last teacher gift I received was spent on supplies for students, including the child of the gifting parent. It's not about the money. My best gifts have been notes from parents and students. Emails including my supervisor/administrators are great because then I can put them in my file when I'm up for evaluation every three years. Please no religious/holiday-themed anything. My kids usually know my faith as part of my modeling cultural tolerance; there's usually at least five different religions in any of my day's classes.
Honored Contributor

I think lots of us work as hard as teachers, and don't get the summer off either. That being said, we all chose our path in life. If you go through looking at what others have or get and comparing it to yourself, you'll just live a bitter old life.

Remember: each of us choose our path, so remember that and enjoy what you have and try to be kind and giving to others. It will do you a lot of good.

Honored Contributor

Also, those of you who think teachers are rich and have it easy, did you steer your children toward that career?

Trusted Contributor

The responses to REEVERS post belongs on another thread, but I'm chalking the reply up to ignorance. As a teacher (and I've not read all the responses) I think gift cards are incredibly nice. Or, a small donation to a children's charity. Some parents would buy books for the media center in honor of a teacher. Truthfully, most teachers are happy with a card and a note.
Super Contributor

Penzey's spices has a small "teacher cares" gift box for 5 dollars. The one I got for my granddaughter's teacher is already wrapped, but I believe there are 4 bottles of spice, a pin and a bumper sticker about the value of teachers. I have given this before and it never became lost in the sea of gift cards.
Regular Contributor

Each year I have my child write a note/card to his teacher around the theme of what he appreciates and has learned from his teacher (he is in elementary school). I put that in a card, along with a gift card for Barnes and Noble). I usually give $20, and figure the teacher deserves it. This year, I will be giving out 2 gifts, one to his main teacher and another to a retired volunteer who works with my child and another girl 2 days each week to provide them special, more individualized attention.
Occasional Contributor

I have 2 little ones so the teacher gifts is still new for me. These are such great suggestions of what TO buy and what NOT to buy. This is greatly appreciated! I find that to touch a child's life in such an extraordinary way is a special calling that teachers have. I am so thankful for the teachers I have had in my life.

Thanks for the great tips everyone!

Honored Contributor

A gift card in any amount to Barnes and Noble!

Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 Reever said: These people have very good jobs, pensions and an inordinate amount of days off. I do not give them any gifts. Sorry if I sound like an old tim curmudgeon but they make more money than I do and no one gives me a gift for doing my job.

Tell me more about teachers. Three years retired and I still mentor collage students. One of my former students just got a full ride to Campbell. I meet with that student monthly to map out his courses and meet with that family.

So, tell me all about myself!