Trusted Contributor

Re: Need Gift Help: Our GD Will Be 1 Year Old Very Soon

I think kids get the most use and enjoyment out of classic toys that stimulate the imagination, sharpen developing skills, allow kids to use creativity or to role play, and can be played with over and over in many ways.

Lego or Duplo blocks, wooden blocks, play kitchens, playhouses or farmhouses with human/animal figures, vehicles, etc., shopping carts, dolls with feeding and care accessories, play dishes, and first-level riding toys are good choices. And don't forget books! Children's books with beautiful pictures, simple, engaging stories, and rhythmic poetry invite children to interact with the books and the adults reading them and to learn to appreciate the rhythms and magic of language.

Esteemed Contributor

OP Here,

I've been away and must admit that December and much of November was a blur due to pain meds.

Please know that I appreciate everything that you've suggested. We purchased a large zippered bag of plastic blocks, which she loves and probably have about 25 books.

Over the new year holiday weekend, we took a look at what we currently have, because she had just had her 15 month check-up and the pediatrician stated that she's 4 months ahead of the typical 15 month old. She has quite a vocabulary now and we now see her express anger versus frustration. She had her first tantrum during our Christmas vacation. Yikes! None of us were ready for that! I think we're going to have to look for some more challenging things for her to do. We have tried crayons, but her coordination isn't there yet.

If you have ideas for toddlers that are a bit older, I'd love to hear from you and promise to stop by.

Thank you!

Rebecca

Respected Contributor

I agree with the idea of contributing to a fund that they can either use for college or for something they need when they're older. I liked the travel idea at 13 (or older), too.

Toys come and go. Today, lots of kids have way more toys than they need or use. And still, playing with pots and pans on the kitchen floor or climbing in and out of a large refrigerator box on the front lawn is more fun than most expensive toys. Stop at any local large appliance store or office furniture store, grab a large refrigerator or desk box and bring it as a gift. Then, set aside $ for something they'll need when they're older. This seems like the best gift to me. JMHO

-Kalli

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/4/2014 RubyinNE said:
On 10/2/2014 Tulips4U said:

Everyone has such great ideas, but I thought I'd add what we've done for our 2 granddaughters. We gave each 1 their own chair -

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/shop/kids-seating/kids-seating-my-first-chair/?

It's amazing the use these have gotten & the girls love them! In fact, our 5 year old, who outgrew hers has asked for a larger one for her next b-day! Yes, they are pricey, but the quality is outstanding & new covers for other children can be purchased. Out 2 year old just cozies up in hers, reading books (upside down at times!), watching her 1 TV show allowed/day, chatting with anyone who will listen...on & on. Just thought I'd share ~

Congrats on this special time! Isn't it wonderful?!

I bought that chair for my grandson. It's wonderful!

I am for sure checking this chair out. Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/8/2014 MrsRef said:

I am fortunate enough to live near Lancaster Pa. For my grandson's first birthday (he is now 5) I bought him an amish made rocking chair. For his sister's first birthday, I got her a beautiful table and chair set. I got my other granddaughter a castle bookcase. All things that they will be able to keep and pass down to their children. We have twins who will be turning 1 in December. Will probably get them something similar. We have also purchased Amish wagons for each family as a Christmas gift in years past. Didn't spend more than $120.00 on any of it. Affter the first bd, we ask parents what the kids need.

What really caught my eye was the wagon. Every kid needs a wagon! In a few months, I think we'll need to have one at our house. Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/22/2014 KathyPet said: I bought my grandson the Gund Peek A Boo Bear that QVC carries when he was three months old for Christmas. he pretty much ignored it then. he is now 14 months and has finally discovered it and just loves it. He gives it hugs, carries it around and knows how to press it on the foot to start it up. just search Gund Bear on QVCand watch the videos. So cute!

Our GD is so into peek-a-boo right now. I need to check this out!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Kalli said:

I agree with the idea of contributing to a fund that they can either use for college or for something they need when they're older. I liked the travel idea at 13 (or older), too.

Toys come and go. Today, lots of kids have way more toys than they need or use. And still, playing with pots and pans on the kitchen floor or climbing in and out of a large refrigerator box on the front lawn is more fun than most expensive toys. Stop at any local large appliance store or office furniture store, grab a large refrigerator or desk box and bring it as a gift. Then, set aside $ for something they'll need when they're older. This seems like the best gift to me. JMHO

-Kalli

Kalli and all who have suggested the fund idea or something similar:

Thank you for giving me a wake-up call in this regard. We can and should be doing this. As soon as I'm over this bug, I'll be making a trip to the bank to discuss possibilities.

Thank you for making me see the obvious.

Esteemed Contributor

As parents or grandparents, we often think of "things" for our kids. Here's an example of a very happy hour our GD spent with Opa yesterday, while I remained at home sick.

DH had previously scoped out our airport and found a small play area for kids that had a couple of small slides and low profile climbing "things," so he took her there yesterday for an hour.

She loved the "turning door" and insisted on going in and out several times. When they got to the part of the airport where the shops are, she looked up at him, turned forward and started running and running and running. She had a blast just running all over the place. Now mind you, she was loaded up with Mardi Gras beads, which she would not allow Opa to take off, so here's this now 16 month old running with bead clacking right and left. Then she spotted the escalators and to Opa, "up, up," so he could pick her up and carry her down the escalator. This, too, went on for some time. Then she spotted the elevators and said, "open, kyosed, pease." So they got on the elevator and she got to press the correct button. Then it was back to running like there was no tomorrow in the shopping area. So like her mom was at that age.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that that was one terrific hour where she got to blow off some steam by running and being very active, not necessarily interfacing with a toy. I bet she slept well last night.

Everyone's input has been wonderful. Please, if you have additional ideas, please share.

Honored Contributor

WHAT A GREAT LIST OF SUGGESTIONS!!!!! Some smart grandmas here!!!!!!!!
Frequent Contributor

When my GD was born I told the kids I would not be competing in the toy race. I buy useful but fun non toy items. The year she turned one I bought her a set of Valerie Parr Hill's collapsible ottomans. I figured they would be a place for her to sit in her room and a place to store stuffed animals or books but I was pleased that she enjoyed climbing in and out of them herself! I bought her a Bose radio/CD player as a birth gift along with some lullaby CD's and that became a much loved gift. I try for gifts that outlast the occasion. Her parents can buy the toys!