Honored Contributor

Re: How do you feel about your son/daughter in law calling you mom?

@Hoovermom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I dream of the day my DIL calls me anything.  She rarely talks to me and it just about kills me.  I just want to be friends.  She's an incredible wife and mother.   

@CalminHeart:  I am sorry to hear that.  DIL and I just had a heart-to-heart and cleared the air of some misunderstandings.  We both said that we were going to say something to each other if something was bothering up.  Can you take her to lunch and try talking to her?  She might feel intimated by you and have misguided thoughts.  Best of luck.

I've taken her to lunch, tried to have fun chats, tried to have heart to hearts, and so much more.  My 35 year old son is all of a sudden angry about his dad's and my divorce 24 years ago.  I tried to talk to my son about it as recently as August and he refuses to discuss the issues about it....even though his dad mentally abused me the last 3 years we were together, threatened to beat me up a  few times the last year, and held a gun on me the last week he was in the home.  I just pray and work hard to keep the lines of communication open.  

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I dream of the day my DIL calls me anything.  She rarely talks to me and it just about kills me.  I just want to be friends.  She's an incredible wife and mother.   

@CalminHeart:  I am sorry to hear that.  DIL and I just had a heart-to-heart and cleared the air of some misunderstandings.  We both said that we were going to say something to each other if something was bothering up.  Can you take her to lunch and try talking to her?  She might feel intimated by you and have misguided thoughts.  Best of luck.

I've taken her to lunch, tried to have fun chats, tried to have heart to hearts, and so much more.  My 35 year old son is all of a sudden angry about his dad's and my divorce 24 years ago.  I tried to talk to my son about it as recently as August and he refuses to discuss the issues about it....even though his dad mentally abused me the last 3 years we were together, threatened to beat me up a  few times the last year, and held a gun on me the last week he was in the home.  I just pray and work hard to keep the lines of communication open.  

@CalminHeart:   Bless your heart.  You keep praying and doing what you are doing, and I bet in time both of them will come around.   Don't give up.

Trusted Contributor

I don’t care what my DIL calls me as long as…she never calls me.  

Honored Contributor

I'd prefer 'Mom' or my first name.

'Mrs.': not so much. 

'Mrs.' sounds too formal, imo.  But it does sound somewhat respectful.

Well, I guess it depends on family dynamics and protocol.  I'm guessing some families are very formal.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Anything besides the Witch word with a B is fine.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would never call my mother in law "MOM".  Somehow I avoided having to get her attention by using a name for 35 years !  But my daugher in law calls me MOM, and I am happy about that.  She did it on her own, so that is fine.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

My only son isn't married yet but when/if he gets married I won't care what my dil calls me. I'll just be happy to have her in our family. 

Respected Contributor

I am not their Mom.

They call me by my first name, like veryone else does, except my own kids,

and, the grandkids calling me Gramma.

-Texas Hill Country-
Valued Contributor

My ex-son-in-law still calls me "mom." I see so little of my new son-in-law, I don't recall him calling me anything. He's not interested in our side of the family - it's all about his - which is deeply disturbing.

I'm glad the father of my grandkids, my husband and I maintain a good relationship. My daughter isn't happy about it, but I think it's important for the kids to see a strong, civil family unit.
Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
My ex-son-in-law still calls me "mom." I see so little of my new son-in-law, I don't recall him calling me anything. He's not interested in our side of the family - it's all about his - which is deeply disturbing.

I'm glad the father of my grandkids, my husband and I maintain a good relationship. My daughter isn't happy about it, but I think it's important for the kids to see a strong, civil family unit.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2:  What does your daughter want you to do?