Respected Contributor

Re: GRANDMAS AND CHRISTMAS !

I always checked with my son and daughter-in-law before buying Christmas gifts for the grandchildren....if they were planning on having Santa bring certain things, I didn't want to spoil their plans.  If they had ever told me to not buy so much....I would have honored their wishes (and kept some things at my house!).

Maybe think about spending money on things like a musical instrument and lessons... or perhaps swimming, skiing or skating lessons and equipment.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes 

I'll never forget when my grandfather told me I could pick out anything in the store. I was less than 10 and it was like a five and ten cent type store. I felt like I had been transported to a magical candy lane of toys.

I was so overwhelmed I ended up not picking out anything.

I think this is a fun thing to do. Let them pick whatever they want (and set a money limit of course and one thing). What a thrill it is!

Even though it sounds like you already got him enough presents for him to open at Christmas, you could save this for his birthday.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

It's too late now, you already bought them.  I think I'd listen to her a little and buy a little less.  Perhaps you could transition from all toys to things you can do together to build memories.  Like a day at the zoo, aquarium, ball game, etc.  

Honored Contributor

I think going against the mother's wishes might be starting a bad trend in the relationships.  Why do it?   I don't see any point in it. 

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I became first time grandparents three months ago.  Of course, we were so excited to buy gifts for our little grandson on this, his first Christmas.  I did tell myself not to go crazy, since the little guy doesn't even know what Christmas is yet!  So I bought him a cute outfit, a book and a toy appropriate for his age.  Grandpa, however, has been going hog wild...every day there's another delivery at the door...another toy....then another toy...then another....I ask him "did you buy the baby another toy?"  And he keeps answering "yeah, but that's the last one."  Sure enough, the next day...ding-dong....another package arrives.  All together, I think he bought him close to a dozen gifts!  I know he's excited, but come on...he's a three month old baby! 

I told him, let's wait until he's old enough to understand Christmas and open his gifts, then we can go a little crazy....that is if our son and daughter-in-law let us buy too much more after this year's antics!!  

Honored Contributor

Yikes!  Some of these parents have a long road in front of them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DDIL makes a toy purge every year just because of this and it is donated to charities.  This year my 5 year old granddaughter helped instead of not being home, she loved the giving.  My grandson is too young to notice his toy chest is light for the moment.  I give all the usual items, toys, clothes, candy, and cash for the savings/piggy banks.  I just love that they want me to spend Christmas Eve night with them every year for the Christmas morning chaos.  It so is!!!!! 

The joy of being a Grandmother is getting to indulge and it is the child who will have the precious memories long after we are home to our reward.  I think of my dear deceased Mam-ma constantly, she is my inspiration.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Make a spare bedroom in your house a playroom for him.....You can buy him toys that stay at your house...

Or...like I do with my granddaughter.....if she wants to take one home...one from her house comes here....or he has to bring it back next time he visits.

My daughter used to complain that her house was turning into "Toys R Us" too and this has worked out for us...

Valued Contributor

I try not to buy too much for my grands but always pick items I know they enjoy.  After the first year or two I realized I was buying more for me than them.  We spend Christmas Day with them but they spend the day before Christmas with my dil's mother and her spouse and her father and his.  Before Christmas day they have already had 2 Christmas celebrations, theirs that morning and then when I show up in the afternoon.  Honestly, they do not need that much stuff!  I also refuse to buy them things every time we go to the store just to buy something.  As they have gotten older I find I enjoy treating them to something they would like that mom or dad wouldn't purchase.  For my teen it is usually a more pricey pair of shoes that she likes and it is my one weakness!    My eight year old spent last weekend with me and we had so much fun doing things...cooking, decorating and yest using exercise equipment.  All she kept saying is "this is why I love spending time at MawMaw's house."  It's time well spent, not dollars spent.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a grandmother of 3 little ones, and I love spoiling them also, but I would respect her desire for no more cars this time since he has so many. There has to be something else that will put a smile on his face on Christmas morning. We are entitled to our "grandmotherly" indulgences, but should try to abide by SOME of the wishes of our children, just as we wanted or expected our parents to.😉 They seldom did however.😂😂

~~~All we need is LOVE💖