Respected Contributor

My daughter said "no more toys mom"  Well who does she think she is ?  I have a 4 yr old grandson (Mr. Busy) and he loves paw patrol. I have purchased several paw patrol toys along with several other toys for him for Christmas but I want to buy more. He already has over 200 matchbox and hotwheel cars and trucks which have taken over their family room. I think he needs more !  Whats a grandma to do ? His dad does not complain. After all he's the only little one, my only other grandchild is 19 and he says he doesn't want anything for Christmas. ( I don't believe that and he won't get left off Santa's list !)  Any of you Grandmas out there have the same problem ? What do you do ? I've already told him Santa will stop by my home and his home, he's so excited and I love it !

Respected Contributor

Re: GRANDMAS AND CHRISTMAS !

How about crayons and other art supplies?

Professional photos (with Grandma)?

College fund?

Honored Contributor

A grandmother has to do what a grandmother has to do.  We're supposed to buy them toys, we are supposed to let them eat cookies even if they haven't finished their veggies.  We are supposed to let them stay up until 9pm when they sleep over, even if Mom says bedtime is 8pm.  It's in the Grandmother's Job Description.  Follow your heart and buy your little guy what he wants.  She'll be fine with it.  She knows you love him to bits.

Honored Contributor

I don't buy my grand kids too many toys.  My DIL is a clean and neat freak.  She throws or donates just about everything that she considers to be clutter. Her house is spotless and toys are gotten rid of a few times a year.  

I would suggest you honor your daughter's wishes.  If you must buy new toys, keep them at your house, so when your grandson visits, he will have things to play with. You can deal with the toy clutter.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper.  What self-respecting little boy wants a picture of grandma or a contribution to his college fund?  Toys, that's the name of the game.  I'd lay off the match book cars though.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote: A grandmother has to do what a grandmother has to do. We're supposed to buy them toys, we are supposed to let them eat cookies even if they haven't finished their veggies. We are supposed to let them stay up until 9pm when they sleep over, even if Mom says bedtime is 8pm. It's in the Grandmother's Job Description. Follow your heart and buy your little guy what he wants. She'll be fine with it. She knows you love him to bits.

Exactly My feelings !  thanks

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper  wrote:

How about crayons and other art supplies?

Professional photos (with Grandma)?

College fund?

Thanks for your suggestions, he has crayons and art supplies and a college fund has been started. We have plenty of photos together but no professional poses so I will give that some thought. I just think as a grandma it's my duty to buy him what he likes. I took a grandma oath ! Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes -I'm laughing at your "Who does she think she is?!"

And though there is so much joy in buying presents for the grandkids,

I do think that the more toys they have, the less they may tend to appreciate them.

One hotwheel toy can be so special but how can they be special when you have 100?

I was just telling my son that a version of retail therapy for a grandma is strolling the toy isles with other grandmas who are total strangers but you all smile at each other.

I just like to look at all the toys and see what is current. Plus as you know, what they like may change every day. One week its paw patrol, 

the next month they may have moved on to something new.

I always respect my kids wishes regarding their children. I loved them first and respect and love them now, not only as my children but as parents to my grandchildren.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Books, fun pajamas, puzzles, special date with grandma, baking cookies. 

Respected Contributor

I guess I should also say that Mr Busy has plenty of educational toys. He has the plastic alphabet  letters and knows the complete alphabet, he can spell some words on his word board and he has plenty of learning books. I also purchased him a childrens tablet for Christmas so I am being a good grandma. I do think as someone mentioned that it's my grandma duty to spoil him a little. I do let him stay up longer when he stays with me (just a little).