Respected Contributor

What you refer to as child abuse will probably be described by the mother as spur of the moment physical discipline.

Unfortunately those who are stressed by poverty (riding the bus), overwhelmed by motherhood (three children), and burdened by trying to manage the situation  (Did the child try to run into the street?  Did he say or do something outrageous to one of the siblings?) may not react with the same level of care and kindness that you or others might.  I am not excusing the mother, but I doubt that the authorities will classify the situation as child abuse.  

I have seen similar and worse here in the big city, and although the first instinct is to intervene and tell the person to stop, that will not really change anything but the moment. Perhaps asking the mother kindly if she needed help would have been a good solution if you felt comfortable enough to do that. Some cultures actually consider physical discipline very important for keeping children in line.

What is really needed is family support:  counseling, mental health assistance, training on how to limit physical discipline, mentoring, mothering workshops, financial assistance,  child development classes, and so forth.

Children all over this country and the world suffer this and much worse.  The police (and the store) cannot really do much nor should they in this particular situation---we need to ask our government and community agencies to reach out to help and better support families everywhere.

Honored Contributor

Kicking and slapping a child is abuse.

that mother needs help and I hope the police do do something.

With abuse like that in public, it can only be worse at home.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor
I do not ever ever ever favor spankings,pinching,kicking towards a defenseless child.no excuse ever for this behavior. Trust me fancyphillyshopper,this stopped me in my tracks.and no,the little boy did not run out in the streets.im sorry,but this is how I feel
Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam There are cameras everywhere from every angle, including on that bus. It will take them a little time to get all the footage, but they will get it. They will also be able to ID the woman. You did the right thing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Child abuse

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

What you refer to as child abuse will probably be described by the mother as spur of the moment physical discipline.

Unfortunately those who are stressed by poverty (riding the bus), overwhelmed by motherhood (three children), and burdened by trying to manage the situation  (Did the child try to run into the street?  Did he say or do something outrageous to one of the siblings?) may not react with the same level of care and kindness that you or others might.  I am not excusing the mother, but I doubt that the authorities will classify the situation as child abuse.  

I have seen similar and worse here in the big city, and although the first instinct is to intervene and tell the person to stop, that will not really change anything but the moment. Perhaps asking the mother kindly if she needed help would have been a good solution if you felt comfortable enough to do that. Some cultures actually consider physical discipline very important for keeping children in line.

What is really needed is family support:  counseling, mental health assistance, training on how to limit physical discipline, mentoring, mothering workshops, financial assistance,  child development classes, and so forth.

Children all over this country and the world suffer this and much worse.  The police (and the store) cannot really do much nor should they in this particular situation---we need to ask our government and community agencies to reach out to help and better support families everywhere.

The store can do nothing, but i disagree about the police not doing anything. I am the adoptive Mom of a child who was severly abused as an infant, and was left in the abusive home. By the time he was actually removed, he had been abused even more. The police can and should get involved. That is their job.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

@FancyPhillyshopper Kicking a child to the ground will never be described as physical discipline. It is abuse period.  By the way what is physical discipline?

Respected Contributor

How horrifying!!!! I hope someone can save these children . Thank you for doing something. Let's pray for those children 

Respected Contributor

yes,I will say a extra long prayer for these innocent children

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam ,

This is pure and simply child ABUSE!

I can read your 'shock' what you had witnessed INSIDE the place of business, then again, when the woman placed more abuse by slapping a child, a kick to the child knocking him down to the ground. That is Child Abuse!

{Hitting a child is not- NOT- a physical disciplinary

ACT. Hitting a child is Child Abuse!}

Waiting around for the gov't., community and family help support is farther down for HELP for this child, along with many others. 

I knew of a similar situation approximately 15+ years ago, also, in a grocery store witnessing a small baby about 6 months old totally sat nakedly with open boils seeping in the provided cart seat.

No one did anything, I would say everyone became completely paralyzed while staring.

I followed the three to the next aisle to try and take a picture, then they ventured to check out, while I went to my car and waited for them to drive off.

That was when I called the police dispatcher - had enough information for the police ( on the phone) to know exactly where I was.

!! Long story short: they secured the baby and the rest was positive after I called back.  Definitely, I can understand that you did the best that was available until the approach to the a bus.

Hopefully, you might call back and ask & ASK again... if or what their history is or was and if anyone from the authorities noticed any bruised marks, and HELP for the young child. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know what you thought the store could do about it.  You don't know who the people were, no ambulance was called.  The people went about their business so the police are not going to get involved.  Of course it was upsetting but as a bystander, there is nothing you can do.