Respected Contributor

Suggestions for infant books..

A family member of mine just had a beautiful baby girl.  I've always heard that it benefits the baby to be read to , early on .  What are some titles of books that you can recommend for the very youngest ones?  (Sorry, I am out of the loop on this .) Thanks in advance.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Suggestions for infant books..

Here are a couple of books that my granddaughter enjoyed: On The Night That You Were Born, The Wonderful ThingsYou Will Be and The Gift That I Can Give. I hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda  Well, the classic is Goodnight Moon. But when the children are really young, it doesn't really matter what you are reading, just as long as you are reading to them. I used to read Frost and Wordsworth to them before they were born and after. In fact, there is a great children's version of Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening I have given to all of my grandchildren.A baby doesn't focus really well for a few months. After that, any picture book with a few items on each page is good. Also, a tactile book is good, like Pat the Bunny. Interactive books are good as well.

Honored Contributor

I purchased my great nephew a few books on Etsy from a shop called "IseeMeBooksUS". 

They are so colorful & cute...you can get them personalized too!  I got an ABC book that was personalized with the child's first name on the cover as well as in the book itself.

It's something different.

Esteemed Contributor

When they are really young cardboard, perhaps with cutouts, is nice.

You can also order books printed with their name inserted into the story that causes wide eyes with the older crowd.

Respected Contributor

My daughter was born very premature and was in the NICU and hospital for nearly 3 months.  When we were able to, we would read to her all the time.  It didn't matter what you were reading.  That young, it's the sound of your voice.  We read anything and everything to her.  As she got older, her favorites were Brown Bear and Green Eggs and Ham.  I have a picture of my husband sitting in the rocking chair at the hospital holding our daughter with one hand and reading with another.  My daughter was looking soooo intently on my husband.  It's just so beautiful.  As if she's saying "I know who you are."  I remember that day as if it were yesterday.  It's one of most beloved pictures.  

Respected Contributor

You did not mention how much you are willing to spend......but if you want to send a gift containing books try enchantedbookerydot com. If you just want to send a couple of books amazon will lead you in the right direction  Go to books and put in the child's age.

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda   Mr. Brown Can Moo Can You?  and any other Dr. Seuss books.  The small books with textile inserts are excellent.

The Hungry, Hungry Catepillar is wonderful.   The Day the Crayons Quit.  Some of the large, soft fabric books are lovely.

As someone else mentioned it really is the sound of your voice that first capture's the infant's attention.

aroc3435

Respected Contributor

I would give:

~ a really nice book of nursery rhymes

~ the poetry book/s by Shel Silverstein (ie Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic)

~ the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman

~ The Child Whisperer by Carol Tuttle

(the last 2 will be incredibly valuable and helpful and don't have an age range to worry about)

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I would give:

~ a really nice book of nursery rhymes

~ the poetry book/s by Shel Silverstein (ie Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic)

~ the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman

~ The Child Whisperer by Carol Tuttle

(the last 2 will be incredibly valuable and helpful and don't have an age range to worry about)

@ThinkingOutLoud I had to respond because the mention of Where the Sidewalk Ends brought a tear and fond remembrance. My daughter (married with kids of her own) still talk about some of the poems.  Another wonderful book by him is "The Giving Tree" Such a beautiful story. The Rainbow Goblins is a fun book and very colorful. Your suggestions are great.

OP you also can't miss with Caldecott Award winners for beautifully illustrated books.