Super Contributor

Re: Are Thank You notes a thing of the Past?

Manners are never out of style. People are lazy and don't have the knowledge of manners.

Esteemed Contributor

I was brought up to always send a written thank you note for a gift or even a kind gesture! I did the same with my children. I still send thank you's when appropriate and the notes are always received gratefully and graciously.

Respected Contributor

Always taught to send thank you notes and it doesn't have to be for gifts, I have done it for acts of kindness as well. We live in a small town and when dad was in the hospital he got great care. After he died. I sent a card to the hospital staff on the ward he was in the lat days of his life.

Tale of two nieces - when my nieces were very young I began sending a monthly amount to the stock market with the intent to give them a kick start on their life. It was a pretty substantial amount (a couple thousand dollars) - and never heard from one niece, the other not only called but followed up with a thank you note that brought tears to my eyes. I kept and still have that card. That was two years ago and the niece that sent the card - she's gone pretty far in life, the other one, not so much which speaks volumes.

Respected Contributor

oops d/p

Honored Contributor

I seldom get them but I always send them out! My daughters always send them out to everyone. My grandchildren send them out every single time. They have always been taught.."If someone does something nice for you, you are to acknowledge it and that does not mean send out a freaking email. That means a handwritten note".

I get scribbles from infants (grandchildren). I have boxes and boxes of thank you notes from my daughters and granddaughters. Sometimes I give them back so they can see the pictures and notes (the oldest two are now almost 11 and 12 years old.

When my children were growing up they would write thank you notes to their Dad thanking him for taking us on vacation. That's how strongly we all believe in thanking someone for a kindness.

My daughters tell me that their adult friends (a few of them) also send out thank you notes. So there are still a very few people around.

Here's something I did recently. When my beloved cat Jack died suddenly, after about 2 weeks I decided I couldn't stand being so lonely; so a friend and I went to Petsmart and I adopted two cats (brother and sister) 5 years old (wanted cats no one else wanted).

I sent a thank you card to the lady who was their foster mother. In the card I included a $25 gift card to The Olive Garden. I also included a $30 gift card for Petsmart for extra food for all of the other cats she cares for. I told her I hoped she and her husband enjoyed a meal at Olive Garden as a way of me thanking her for taking such good care of Billy and Katie (what I named them, she called them Jack and Jill).

It wasn't a big deal on my part but the fact that she does this totally because she and her family have such a good heart should be acknowledged. My guess is that she seldom ever gets a thank you note. Many people don't have the money to send and that's ok. What is not OK is to not acknowledge their kindness.

I am not telling this to get a response from anyone. I am telling this to remind others that there are many good and kind people who help all of us. Why not get a .99 card at Walmart and a stamp and let someone know we thank them for all they do for us.

So many people are so selfish and think their lives are all that matters. I don't have time for people like that in my life. One of the joys of not working is that I can pick and choose who I get to have in my everyday life.

Send out thank you notes.

Frequent Contributor

To those that question what is the point, I'll give you the point. Someone has spent time considering your individual personality and character in order to purchase or design something you would enjoy and appreciate. The time involved carrying out this entire procedure varies, of course. They may have quite literally worked hard physically to achieve this gift presented to you. There is time and effort placed into gift giving and the least the recipient can do is sit down and write their own words of gratitude, get the card to mailbox and send. This is called respect and most people are deserving.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I've had that problem with a cousin of mine. It was his birthday in April, and we always get together for our birthdays. I sent him emails and called him and left messages, but never a reply. I finally mailed him his birthday gift with a card and a note from me. I checked USPS tracking, and it shows the package was delivered on Saturday, May 18. No email or call back from him. I rather doubt I'll get a thank-you note either.

I also gave a couple (another cousin's son and daughter-in-law) a lovely wedding gift (they registered for) when they got married. I never got a thank-you note, even though my cousin said they received the gift. I did manage to get the wedding invitation from them, however.

Is this something new, that people don't feel it's necessary to thank for gifts?

Respected Contributor

I think a wedding or baby shower gift Demands a thank you note. I have had 2 neices not send them and it really ticked me off. Mothers teach your children.

Esteemed Contributor

Just good manners have left. My son told me it's not TH 50,s anymore and I told him Manners should never go out of style, no matter what generation. I stop giving to his wife, she never acknowledges a Thank you.

Respected Contributor

On 5/20/2014 Lyn08 said:

Yes, I've had that problem with a cousin of mine. It was his birthday in April, and we always get together for our birthdays. I sent him emails and called him and left messages, but never a reply. I finally mailed him his birthday gift with a card and a note from me. I checked USPS tracking, and it shows the package was delivered on Saturday, May 18. No email or call back from him. I rather doubt I'll get a thank-you note either.

I also gave a couple (another cousin's son and daughter-in-law) a lovely wedding gift (they registered for) when they got married. I never got a thank-you note, even though my cousin said they received the gift. I did manage to get the wedding invitation from them, however.

Is this something new, that people don't feel it's necessary to thank for gifts?

Unreal that they can send invites but no thank you notes. Really bad! this is not acceptable.