Super Contributor

Are Thank You notes a thing of the Past?

Have any of you experienced sending a nice gift to someone for a wedding, birthday, or even a Christmas gift and receiving no acknowledgement of it being received?

I have had this happen with wedding gifts and most recently Christmas. At one point I called the recipient to inquire if the gift had arrived as I was concerned about it.

Anyone else have this happen?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are Thank You notes a thing of the Past?

Yes I have but I don't expect it either.

Respected Contributor

I think thank you notes are a thing of the past, and it's sad, IMO. I most certainly expect a thank you note and get quite irritated if I don't receive one.

If someone doesn't send me a thank you, I will delete them from my gift giving to someone that appreciates it.

Respected Contributor

Yes that has happened to me with friends and relatives. I just try to make sure that I and my girls send them, and only give out of love and not create a resentment over the missing thank you note.

Valued Contributor

A proper thank you is not a thing of the past but, unfortunately, manners are. If I give a gift and the recipient says thank you to me then I know she has received it, obviously, and I have received her thanks and that's enough for me. If I send a gift then for pete's sake, at least let me know you received it even if it's just a quick e-mail note or card. How hard is it to do that?

Maria

Super Contributor

Yes, sadly, I think thank-you notes are a thing of the past. I still send them, as I have customized stationery that I love, and I just can't imagine not doing it. But, my mother was recently appalled that my niece doesn't send thank you notes - I think the new generation just don't do it anymore. I'm ok with an email acknowledgement, but am sad that manners seem to have gone the way of all things. I sound like such and old stodgy, and I'm only 43!

Valued Contributor

To answer your question,good manners are not a thing of the past.Those who do not use them,have not been taught!

Respected Contributor

Yes, and "NO" thank you notes R not a thing from the past. Parents need to model good manners & behavior.

Everyone likes to be appreciated and recognized for the time & thought that went into thinking of others.

So, people who don't give thanks are off my list. That's how life goes.

Respected Contributor

Yes. My friend's daughter got married last September and I hadn't received a thank you for the gift. I had asked her about it in March if she even got it (I had it sent to my friend's house). She said yes, they got it. But her daughter was so busy with the wedding, the honeymoon, her sister having a baby, blah blah blah that she hasn't had time.

Considering it's now MAY, I don't see one coming ever. Totally unacceptable since they had a big fancy wedding.

Regular Contributor

Absolutely not.....I was given my own Crane note cards and a fountain pen, at a very young age to write my thank you notes ....my daughter also grew up with that same habit instilled at a young age. This has been pasted to her small children today....an e-mail thank you will never happen in this family.....as long as I'm alive anyway.