Contributor

i will be going to San Francisco for a long weekend in the middle of October and am hoping to get by without having to check a bag on my flight from Philadelphia.  I just received the quilted jacket in red and it should fit in beautifully with gray based wardrobe I am planning to pack.  My question is, will it be warm enough to serve as my outer wear jacket in typical San Francisco weather for that time of year? I have never been to the West Coast and would appreciate any advice.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

San Francisco can get cool at night so look at nighttime temps on those weather apps. @Noel7 can you help her with more advice? Thanks.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Quilted Jacket Question

[ Edited ]

I have been to SF twice, once in July and once in August.  Both times I needed a warm jacket early in the morning and after the sun went down.  It can get cold there.

The next time I visit, I am bringing a Lands End Primaloft jacket.  I own three of them and they are wonderful.  They look great and you can stuff them into a purse or bag. They adjust to your body temp and are great for travel.  I wear mine in the spring, fall and during the dead of winter.

I have no idea how warm your quilted jacket is. I will probably be good if you layer it with a sweater if needed.  You probably won't need a real warm jacket when it's sunny during the day time.

Enjoy your trip.   I am jealous.  

Spoiler

Valued Contributor

Bring your jacket and a sweater to wear under if we have some chillier weather and you should be fine. We typically have nights in the 50s. October is still Indian summer for us with September being our hottest month so we could have cool weather, a few sprinkles, or 3 days of clear skies and warm temps.  Heat never lasts more than 3 days because the Central Valey heat pulls that cooling fog in through the Golden Gate and over the coastal hills. A quilted jacket over a sweater should be the most you would need.

Trusted Contributor

@6kids - the quilted jacket is kind of thin to serve as an outwear jacket for temps in the 50s, I think.  You definitely want to layer something warmer underneath. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Quilted Jacket Question

[ Edited ]

No. Lived in SF for many years... a light trench coat or light wool jacket.  About 3pm the fog comes over the city and it is very chilly ...tourists are caught unaware and end up buying sweatshirts off street vendors. SF is not like Southern California. In Oct temps run low to middle 60s... I have that jacket in navy...cannot be your outerwear garment for trip. Perhaps Louis's faux suede anorak jacket that you can layer with some on his recent sweaters. Be sure to visit The Embarcadero-Ferry bldg, Yerba Buena Gardens ( extraordinary green space, museum, theater, childrens area) and any of the  museums in SF. Have a great time.

P.S. depending on why you are going / But for dress SF tends to be a very casual city. During day jeans, slacks, top, stylish jacket, good shoes/ lotta hills, so if walking, really comfy shoes...whether casual or dressier...should have chic pieces

Trusted Contributor

@6kids

You are coming to SF at a wonderful time of the year.  This past week,

we had a two-day heat wave in the eighties, but that is rare for sure.

I agree with everyone suggesting you plan for cool mornings and evenings.

The Linea quilted jacket may not be enough.  We go to the City often

because our son and his family live there. We live on the coast about an hour and a half south, with similar weather.  Our son told us it was back to the fog yesterday.

Your chances of warm weather are greater in October because "Indian Summers"

often occur.  I hope you love your visit.

Contributor

I just returned from my trip and it was wonderful. We had beautiful weather, but the evenings were a bit chilly, especially on the ferry ride to Alcatraz.  I ended up taking a fur lined quilted vest along with my red jacket and between the two of them I was very comfortable. Thank you to everyone who wrote in to give me advice!

Esteemed Contributor

Love SF I've been there a couple of times this time of year, took huuby there for the first time a couple of years ago we stayed a week and we can't wait to go back.  We didn't do the Alcatraz tour but we certainly enjoyed every day spent there.  I also took my fur lined coat with hood because the evenings were very chilly but nice and the ride over the Golden Gate bridge was windy and chilly as well and my hood came in handy indeed.  Glad you enjoyed your trip.