Frequent Contributor

Does your whisper knit wrinkle in the washer?

I own several whisper knit pieces and love them all.  But, I have found that after laundering them they come out of my washer wrinkled.  I have a high effiencey washer with a hand wash cycle which i always use for my WK.  I wash in cold water, lay flat to dry, and steam out any wrinkles but the steamer doesn't take out these wrinkles. I try not to wash too many pieces together in one load just as I do for any load.  I wonder if this is caused by my HE washer or if I shouldn't use the hand wash cycle (I have tried the gentle cycle as well).  I am tempted to switch to dry cleaning them to avoid these wrinkles. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does your whisper knit wrinkle in the washer?

My Maytag is 19 years old.  I wash my WK on gentle/short cycle in cold water and in Woolite.  I put a thick towel on the clothes bars and lay my sweaters out to dry.  I have been doing this for years and never have a wrinkle.

Honored Contributor

My GE washer is 30 years old! Woman Surprised

I use regular wash & spin in cold water. I take them out and hang to dry. 

Sometimes there are wrinkles, if I get busy and don't remove quickly. The hand held steamer does take out wrinkles pretty well if this happens.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Yes my washing machine does wrinkle my WK tops and if I just hang them to dry, they dry with the wrinkle in them.  It actually looks like dark streaks and doesn't iron out that well.  I've learned to put them in the dryer on low for 1- to 15 minutes and then hang them to finish drying.  Wrinkle issue solved.

Trusted Contributor

@shoptilidrop1989  I have had the same experience as you.  They wrinkle now when I wear them after steaming.  Changed to dry cleaned.  I bought quite a few tops; they get great reviews.  I will wear them, spent a pretty penny, but not thrilled by any means.

Respected Contributor

I wash my whisper knit sweaters by hand in color safe Woolite and dry flat on my laundry screen.  I then steam them.  They are perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilidrop1989 wrote:

I own several whisper knit pieces and love them all.  But, I have found that after laundering them they come out of my washer wrinkled.  I have a high effiencey washer with a hand wash cycle which i always use for my WK.  I wash in cold water, lay flat to dry, and steam out any wrinkles but the steamer doesn't take out these wrinkles. I try not to wash too many pieces together in one load just as I do for any load.  I wonder if this is caused by my HE washer or if I shouldn't use the hand wash cycle (I have tried the gentle cycle as well).  I am tempted to switch to dry cleaning them to avoid these wrinkles. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.Thanks in advance for any advice. 

@shoptilidrop1989

My washer is an older top-loading Kenmore with center agitator.  I wash all WK in lingerie bags on a cold water gentle cycle with other clothing.  Detergent is Tide Free and Gentle; liquid Downy Fabric Softener.  I then spread the WKs out on a screen sweater dryer.  Any leftover wrinkles steam right out (and I mean, immediately & easily!) I still have all of my original whisper knits from years ago, and not a single permanent wrinkle in the group.  

I do think that you may be on to something in that perhaps the HE washer has something to do with the problem you're having.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

I wash mine in a 20 year old Maytag with cold cycle then i put in dryer and dry completely. No problems.

Super Contributor

I use a front load machine, and just one or two of my WK tops come out with set in wrinkles. Almost like a "crazing" or crackled effect. I'm going to try the dryer for a few minutes next time to see if that helps.
Respected Contributor

@Berlybaby wrote:

I wash mine in a 20 year old Maytag with cold cycle then i put in dryer and dry completely. No problems.

I do exactly the same as you @Berlybaby - and have also had No Problems.