Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Love This Look as Much as I Do?

@golding76 wrote:

Ouch, JJM.  Gym suit.  LOL

But it takes my eye.

OMG! Yes.  Gym shirt!

Respected Contributor

It doesn't look like my gym shirt from the 60's!

I like it; wore this look and the hair in the late 70's and 80's.  Still think it looks classic and flattering.  A turned up shirt collar on a basic shirt?  Belted and killer earrings, good for me.  I can't belt anymore so this isn't something I will be wearing now, but many could and it would look nicer imo than some of today's oversized tunics....

Respected Contributor

Diana was only thirty six when she died. At that age fashion can be fun and trendy. Does anyone remember the black "revenge" dress she wore?

If you want to see Grace Kelly in her fashion best, watch "Rear Window."

Jimmy Stewart is in a wheel chair recuperating and every time she visits she is wearing a different outfit. 

Honored Contributor

tzatke, I agree that Grace Kelly was her most voguish in that film.  Wasn't she actually reading Vogue or Harper's Bazaar in one of the scenes?  So ultimately classic in her style! 

Just checked online for the designer, and it was none other than the unmatched Edith Head.  Found the following:

"Grace Kelly's costumes in Rear Window are the perfect example of the stylish and elegant fifties and one of my favourite wardrobes created by Edith Head for a film."

Respected Contributor

Edith Head did her over the top but beautiful wedding dress.

Honored Contributor

Found a photo of the scene with Grace reading Harper's Bazaar.  So that's what it was.

Image result for grace kelly reading fashion magazine in rear window

Honored Contributor

I have very thick hair and everyone who has known me for more than a decade still tells me "your hair looked best when you wore it like 'that skater girl',"  Of course, that skater girl was Dorothy Hamil.  I would still love that hairstyle but no young stylist nowadays knows 'that skater girl.'  I recently was recommended to see a man who has a daughter just out of college to get my hair styled.  When he saw me, first thing was comb my hair down, and said, "oh, you are a Dorothy Hamil, Princess Di."  

Interestingly, I was in NOLA, a few years ago and one of the sales clerks at Saks kept following me and before long I had a following of people who were staring at me.  I had to stop, thinking they thought I was shoplifting.  I turned and said, "what do you people want and why are you following me" in a very stoic and demanding voice.  One of the ladies who looked perhaps Chinese said, "we thought you are Princess Di, no?, she is really dead, yes?"  I was wearing my hair in a modified Dorothy Hamil at that time (2011, I think).

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lavendar wrote:

Diana was only thirty six when she died. At that age fashion can be fun and trendy. Does anyone remember the black "revenge" dress she wore? I've seen shots where it looks black and others where it looks dark navy.

I saw a picture of her in that dress not too long ago---around the anniversary of her death, Aug 31.
"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

I couldn't resist posting that picture of the Yellow Windowpane Plaid Coat----oh the hat!