Trusted Contributor

Balance & Brighten Gals please help me choose shade!

[ Edited ]

I'm so excited about the Love of Chocolate TSV and want to get it so bad!  I am torn between Light and Medium.

I am fair skinned, burn easily but some light foundations make me look like a corpse.  I have cool undertones, not yellow.

Any help choosing? What works for you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Balance & Brighten Gals please help me choose shade!

I love the Balance & Brighten product, use it all the time and have for years.  I am fair as well, not porcelain, but do have a very little bit of color, can't be in the sun because I just don't tan.  I've been very happy (for years) with the Fair.  I've found the Porcelain color to be too white for me (ghostly) and the Medium makes me look dirty....good luck, hope you love it....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I am a medium most of the year but some months I have to go to tan depending on the color of my skin.  I have a 3 acre lawn to mow so my skin will tan to a degree even with me using a good sun screen.  I do not work out in the sun from 11 to 3 because of my lupus meds.  I purchased the tan in a smaller container so the cost was minimal.  When I was in an office for years my skin was a fair as I seldom saw sun for 8+ hours per day.  Sorry I am not much help but skin shades do differ throughout the seasons.  What you buy today might not be what you would chose in Dec or Jan.  When my skin tone is concerned I do not buy large sizes or quantities as once opened I do not let them stand a season unused.

New Contributor

Hi,

if you are on the fence go for the medium as it is a very forgiving shade.

Medium accomodates my neutral light tan skin shade.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it!  

Laura's website has way more shades than QVC.  Think I'm going to go with the Medium for today as I have a bit of color, then if I like the B&B I can pick up a Light from Laura's store and blend the two.

Just love the colors of lipstick and gloss in this kit, and the brushes.  Don't think I can go too far wrong.  This is my first LG purchase and from all I've read from customers who have skin issues similar to mine, I'm hopeful it will be a good match.  

BE and JI make my skin look so dull and washed out.  

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover  It may depend on what result you'd like to achieve.  I'm naturally a medium skintone, but I only wear sunscreen on my face, so my body gets quite tan from running outdoors (I don't usually burn), so I need to use a makeup that actually darkens my face so I don't look like it belongs to someone else's body.  I never use the medium shade at all, I always use the tan, and sometimes even mix in a little deep for more color.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I'm so excited about the Love of Chocolate TSV and want to get it so bad!  I am torn between Light and Medium.

I am fair skinned, burn easily but some light foundations make me look like a corpse.  I have cool undertones, not yellow.

Any help choosing? What works for you?

Do you have an Ulta nearby? I'd go and test out each shade! 

With my yellow undertones I wear a medium in B & B - from your descrption, it sounds like you need light. 

Trusted Contributor

Yikes, I'll try to swap it out!

Super Contributor

I'm between fair and medium and been using the medium.    Works well for me.. 

Super Contributor

Hi Pilates Lover!

I think if a person has strong undertones, some foundations may clash.  In my case, I have a light-medium complexion with strong yellow/olive undertones.  Color-wise I'd normally go with medium and can handle some peach and some pink, but the amount of beige that works for most medium skin tones makes my skin look somewhat dirty.  That seems to happen with those who had stronger undertones.  My SIL would look great in medium and she's more neutral with a lean toward olive skin tone.  Needless to say, I look sallow easily and when I'm sick, I'm really pale!

I believe the Fair shade is Light on QVC.  It can get confusing at times, but it was described as being between the Fairest and Medium.  I normally would look too pale in a foundation one up from the most pale! I don't usually burn too easily either unless I'm on certain hormones,  The model they chose to represent Fair is pretty pale, I'm not that pale if that helps. 

OK, I opened my newer B&B and an older Medium one (don't ask why I sitll have it, I guess so I can talk myself out of ordering it to try for the third time!).  The base of both is a flesh-tone color for light skin, withmore  shades of browns, concealer-tones, and what would be a medium/tan shade in both.  The Medium has more of the darker colors, less of the "plain" light foundation base.  The Light (Fair) has thinner amounts of the different shades on the same background, what I think of as a Light powder-colored base that is neutral whereas Medium is definitely more of a mix of colors.  They seem neutral to me more than going either way, and I don't really see pink or peach in them as I thought there was before.  I likely just confused you more! For me, I think the amount of darker shades in the medium just don't work with my undertones, whereas the lesser dark tones in Fair are something I can work with despite it being more neutral than Golden.  Basically, if you saw me and the model for fair, you'd assume she's Fair and I'm Medium.   Check out some pics of the actual foundations and you'll see what I'm talking about! Smiley Happy

Good luck, I'll stop confusing you!!! Oh, you might check out the foundation where it's sold alone, the models may be different and it might be easier to choose.