Trusted Contributor

Re: whats cooking in august?

@KaySD wrote:

Good grief, @Winifred,  I haven't even thought about White Castles for decades. At one time, having mom or dad bring home their burgers for dinner was a huge treat. My dad could eat a dozen by himself. Who can't remember that mystery meat and onion smell? 

• I did manage to scrounge up some ground lamb this week. I mix it with ground beef, or even turkey, add some herbs, and make tiny meatballs, which I freeze on a tray in vacuum sealed bags. I have a recipe for a soup with kale and these mini lamb meatballs that's absolutely to die for. But it's hard to find the ground lamb, especially if I want it at a price I can actually justify. This time, I made a double batch and gave half to my daughter. 

It's almost 8pm now, but still 90 degrees at my desktop. Much cooler outside but it's always hotter in my house, darn it. We're expecting more just like this for the next week or so, and then it will get hotter. And this year, if it gets uber-hot, everyplace I might have gone for a cooldown is closed.

I will have to make do with tepid showers. I'm breaking out the waterproof mattress protectors and vacuuming the dust off all my fans and freezing extra ice cubes. Also, I've laid in a supply of frozen potstickers--not from Q because they charge too much--and laundered all my thinnest pajamas. When it gets over a hundred indoors, I have to turn my computer off to keep it from overheating, so I figure extra naps are okay for me, too. Another few weeks to the end of September and the first cooler temps.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get some stuff cooked or at least prepped and planned in advance. I mean, you can only eat cheese and crackers so many meals, amirite?

Cheers, everyone. Love reading about your cooking!

@KaySD 

I love soups.  The only soup I've made where I added meatballs was Mexican Abondigas (sp?).  Would you mind sharing your recipe? I'm always intrigued when someone says something 'is to die for.'😉  Would you mind sharing your recipe?  

Respected Contributor

I was floored when I found the White Castles a couple years ago at Aldi's. I have always loved those things. Great easy dinner or lunch for sure. Have always added something like a veggie or fruit. By the way, they use to be cheap. LOL

Scorching day - again - horrible. and will continue through next week. May get to 109 or 110 - horrible last couple days. No breeze at all. And with all the fires we have had recently and another big one burning the air is horrible.

Dinner tonight - who knows may be another White Castle burger. 

Have a good day everyone

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze  Happy to share. I don't want to overpromise this recipe, because it's very simple, but it's one of my favorite things. It has a nice clean taste but a rich mouthfeel, making it great any time of year. And it makes a little lamb go a long way.

Here is the recipe I started with. It's somewhere between soup and a brothy stew...you can always add more water if you want it soupier.

The amount of garlic scares some people, even though in the cooking it becomes much milder. So I sometimes use a couple of shallots instead, and I like that flavor as well. Or you can use both!

Either curly or lacinato kale will work. Lacinato is easier to slice.

I also sometimes use another kind of broth if I have it, but I really prefer water--by the time the dish is done the broth has a lot of flavor. 

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground lamb
1 T. chopped fresh oregano
Salt & pepper
2 T. EVOO
1 head garlic, cloves finely chopped
1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves sliced in thin strips

1. In a large bowl, combine the lamb, beef and oregano. Season. Shape into 1/2 inch mini meatballs.
2. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil on low. Add garlic and 1 T. water. Cook stirring frequently, until translucent but not brown, 6-8 min.
3. Add 3 cups water and bring to boil over med-high. Add meatballs, lower heat and simmer 10 min.
4. Add kale. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 min--maybe a bit longer if the meatballs are frozen. Season.

Serve the meatballs and kale  in bowl and add enough broth to cover. Easily serves 4.

Trusted Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

I was floored when I found the White Castles a couple years ago at Aldi's. I have always loved those things. Great easy dinner or lunch for sure. Have always added something like a veggie or fruit. By the way, they use to be cheap. LOL

Scorching day - again - horrible. and will continue through next week. May get to 109 or 110 - horrible last couple days. No breeze at all. And with all the fires we have had recently and another big one burning the air is horrible.

Dinner tonight - who knows may be another White Castle burger. 

Have a good day everyone

@Winifred  you mean they come frozen at the grocery store? Who would've thunk? I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. 

Sometimes there is popcorn for supper. Just saying.

Trusted Contributor

@KaySD 

Thank you so much for your soup recipe!  I love all cruciferous veggies so I am certain I will enjoy this soup.  I like that there aren't a lot of ingredients but what few there are big flavor producers. Hoping to make it tomorrow-- especially since there's been a break from the heat and humidity in my area.  I'll let you know if I do.

I appreciate you sharing your recipe.

Trusted Contributor

Well, dog days of summer are upon us. Too hot to turn on the oven, and not expecting it to cool down all week. What to eat? 

Ive been making smoothies out of yoghurt and frozen fruit. To thin it out and keep it from being too sweet, I add water or iced tea or even cold coffee, depending on the fruit. Sounds weird but I like it. Most often berries and peaches. I'm not a fan of liquid meals, but this works in the heat. 

Veggies steamed in in the microwave. Maybe I'll make a bunch of chicken breasts at one time and eat them all week. And boil some eggs to have around. Deli ham rolled up in lettuce leaves. Tuna/celery salad. Pickles are kind of cooling. Fresh jugs of tea every day to chill. I might rise to a hash of potato, radish and asparagus, all in small cuts to cook quickly. And a pot of rice for the week might be nice--maybe risotto with lemon in it. I can probably put all this lot together Monday morning if I get busy before the sun is high. 

What's on on your menu this week? I could use more ideas. Anyone have a cold soup i could make?

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. the temps you all are talking about sound just awful.  you guys would love to be in rhode island right now . we are in the 70s with very low humidity. wish it was like this all summer. well garden wouldnt like it. i fried up ground hamberger with taco seasoning and maria put them together. ground hamberger, shreeded lettuce, diced tomatoed, a crunchy tostada shell,creamy cheddar cheese in a jar, shredded chedar cheese sour cream and taco sauce in a large wrap. it gets folded and grilled. it was super good. taco bell makes these but marias homemade are better. hope everyone has a great week and you all get relief from those horrible temps.

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone.sunny and in the low 80s today with no humidity. but is comim]g back by the weekend but temps will still be in the 80s.yestauday we had fried chicken cutlets and french frys.this morning i made ham and eggs for breakfast. my mil just sent up a plate of fried squash and pumkin flowers some plain and some stuffed with ham and sometimes she stuffs them with shrimp and while i was writing this she sent up a pizza to. . all very good. speaking of white castle burgers we went to bjs whole club and they sell white castle burgers. i you ever watched the tv show undercover boss. one time it was on the white castle company and how t[hey make the burgers. hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I have not been around past few days  - just have not felt up to it. Weather is so miserable and that makes it worse for me. Just horrible.With all the fires we have out here some areas the air is really bad - mine is one of them. Do not really want to go to church this morning but I will. We are still meeting outside in the yard of the Pastor's home. No one allowed inside buildings for church. His yard has some immense great OLD California Oak Trees - they are monsters and offer great shade and occasional breezes. Really nice.

Did get the birthday box off to my beautiful great great in  Colorado. Hard to believe she will be turning 5 this coming Saturday. I miss she and her brother so very much but they are doing well where they are.

Have been eating lightly. No way am I doing heavy cooking in the kitchen. We are living with the threat of rolling blackouts so I think everyone is trying to be careful yet stay as comfortable as possible

- which isn't much. Been eating a lot of veggies lately.. Do have a huge frozen meal of orange chicken and also veggies with the Asian touch but just too hot to fire up the oven. Yes I have cooling in my kitchen but  I will cook it early morning and then must pack it up in smaller bundles so I can eat it by a fast warm up in the microwave. Amazing how we change things for many reasons. I am craving a great pot roast but will have to wait until the weather cools off a bit.

Hope all are doing well and stay cool! Later will have some mixed veggies with sweet and sour sauce and toss in a cut up burger with it. Slow cooker will do a cook job as it is not a mountain of food but will sure be tasty..

Honored Contributor

My trucker girl is home after 9 days on the road, so I'm cooking one of her favorite meals today; BBQ ribs, baked beans and potato salad.  Hoping she gets to "visit" with us for a few days.