Occasional Contributor

Did anyone find the "sauce" recipe Dawn Magid mentioned when she was talking about chiken sandwiches. It was barbecue, honey, etc and she said it was posted on QVC but I can't find it.

I too cannot find Dawn Magid's sauce recipie for the Heartland Fresh chicken sandwiches. Not the peppered white sauce, the one she mentioned using ketchup, mayo etc.???????

Honored Contributor

I'd love to see those too if anyone can find them to post!

I have been on AD for this chicken for a VERY long time!  Best ever but I would love some new ideas.

Trusted Contributor

Re: sauce recipe

[ Edited ]
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the subject of barbecue sauces, I have a very long history of trying different recipes.  People can spend way too much time and money fussing over this simple sauce.

I've put together up to a dozen ingredients and mixed them up in bowl.  I've bought citrus fruits, squeezed the juice, added many other ingredients and then cooked the mix on the stove.

My conclusion is........You can go to the condiment shelves in any large grocery store and choose from many bottled sauces just as good or better than anything you can spend a lot of time and energy on if making at home.

I haven't bought or used any BBQ sauce in a long time, but have a meal in mind that calls for it with some pork roast.  I opted for a bottle of KRAFT Slow Simmered Hickory Smoked sauce about a week ago.  I think it was priced at under $1.00 at Kroger on sale.

My first intro to any BBQ sauce was at a holiday party when the hostess served the most delicious pulled beef roast on buns.  I asked what she used............KRAFT Original.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should add to my previous post that no bottled sauce  I've ever seen even attempts to replicate the unique vinegary  sauce which is the hallmark of Eastern North Carolina barbecue.

If you ever see something referred to commercially as "Carolina barbecue sauce", it's most likely referring to South Carolina's regional barbecue style, which is gold-colored and uses, I think, mustard as a base.  It's very good and some versions can be found in grocery stores,......or at least those in the South.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  I make a barbecue sauce that sounds like it might be similar to the one you're describing.  I got it from the label on a Texas Pete hot sauce bottle:

1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

1 cup hot sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp pepper

1 tsp pepper flakes

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter 

Yes, I have a couple of recipes for the Eastern NC sauce.  They can be very good, but not necesssarily identical  to all the non-saucy  and no brown-sugar-added BBQ I've eaten in NC.  Husband is a huge fan of that regional pulled pork style, and I was introduced to it by a roommate while attending my first two years of college.  Her parents used to visit us and bring us some.

On  our many road trips from Virginia to Georgia,over the years,  my husband always timed the trip so we would arrive in Greensboro, NC, and have a late lunch at Stamey's.  If we were traveling to visiti my son in college in NC, we'd go to Parker's or a few other well-known places in Rocky Mount and east of there.

I never thought Stamey's was the best and wasn't crazy about their other offerings, such as Brunswick stew and cole slaw.  I had experienced better, but......oh well.  I stil enjoyed my meal.

We have a very old  and popular restaurant where we live now that does serve the type of plain pulled pork that DH really likes, and it offers a variety of sauces you can add yourself if desired.