Regular Contributor

@azgal try a lower baking temperature.  I feel I have more control over the cookies when I bake at 325.  Are you refrigerating the dough ahead of time, or baking as soon as you make the dough? Just made cookie dough tends to spread as they bake.  Also, the ingredients in the cookie play a huge role in whether or not a cookie will be chewy or crispy. 

Honored Contributor

A little FYI:

I have found this parchment paper to be the best (available on Amazon):

Zenlogy 12x16 (100 Pcs) Unbleached Parchment Paper Sheets for High Heat Baking

A bit pricey, but the best.

Valued Contributor

Re: parchment paper

[ Edited ]

@DottieD wrote:

@azgal try a lower baking temperature.  I feel I have more control over the cookies when I bake at 325.  Are you refrigerating the dough ahead of time, or baking as soon as you make the dough? Just made cookie dough tends to spread as they bake.  Also, the ingredients in the cookie play a huge role in whether or not a cookie will be chewy or crispy. 

Thanks DottieD. I've been making toll house cookies for years but always bake them at 375. They come out pretty soft but seemed to spread more on the mat. I put the dough in the fridge for about 30 minutes. I'll try a lower temp. 

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Regular Contributor

@azgal I'm going to make a batch of Tollhouse cookies and experiment baking with both parchment and silpat mat.  I haven't made those in ages since I've come up with a chocolate chunk cookie recipe I've been making for 30 years!

Valued Contributor

@DottieD I have used parchment paper and didn't notice any difference.

Thanks for your help!

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Respected Contributor

I worked part time in a bakery.  They always used parchment paper on their stainless steel trays.  In fact, they used it a couple of times before discarding.

I was at a bakers supply store last week and saw sheets of parchment paper.  You can buy either half sheet size or quarter sheet size.  Much better than cutting it to size off the roll.

Respected Contributor

I will never buy rolls of parchment paper again!  I get the sheets already cut. I haven't compared to Amazon but I get mine at WebstrauntStore dot com I LOVE this site. 

Respected Contributor

I always use parchment paper on my cookie sheets, and we love crispy cookies! Especially DH, he hates soft ones.

I buy sheets of parchment from King Arthur Flour online.

I also usually chill my cookie dough overnight, and then take it out of the frig for a half hour or hour before baking. I think I get better results this way. I can't explain why; it seems letting the batter sit overnight in the frig makes the flavors better. Of course, it doesn't have to be baked the next day. That batter can sit in the frig a few days, or even be frozen.

Also by dividing up the labor over two days - one day for mixing and one for baking - it makes it less of a chore for me.

Another thing is, some batters are just too soupy to go right into the oven, especially if the batter calls for softened butter. The butter after mixing can just be too soft and the cookies will spread too much while baking. Chilling the dough solves that problem. But I do let the dough sit out on the counter a bit before baking.

Honored Contributor

I threw all the silpats out and went back to parchment paper.  I couldn't stand the oily feel or the rancid smell on the mats no matter how hard I tried to scrub them clean.

Respected Contributor

Re: parchment paper

[ Edited ]

Crunchiness is a factor of your ingredients, not the parchment paper. Specifically the sugar. Google for details. I use parchment paper all the time & I like my chocolate chip cookies crisp on the edges and chewy in the center.