New Contributor
Does anyone have a recipe for smoking prime rib in smoker? I have wanted to do this but a bit scared! Thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: masterbuilt electric smoker

Here is the recipe from John McLemore's Dadgum That's Good cookbook. We have smoked a 5 1/2 lb prime rib at 225° for 4 hrs with internal temp 141°. YUM!!! You will have to cook to your desired doneness. Enjoy!!!

Smile

John McLemore’s Smoked Prime Rib (Dadgum That’s Good)

1 (5-7 lb.) prime rib roast
1/4 Tbsp. onion powder
1/8 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp white pepper
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp red pepper
1 Tbsp kosher salt

1. Place prime rib in a large pan. In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Season roast with the mixture and let stand for 30 to 45 minutes. Load the wood tray with wood chips and preheat smoker to 250º F.

2. Place roast, fat side up on rack in smoker. Reduce temperature to 225º F and add more wood chips every 1 to 1 1/2 hours during cooking time.

3. Use a meat thermometer to check internal temperature. Meat will continue to cook for a few minutes after removing from heat and wrapped in foil.

4. Let rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.

Readiness:
125º F Rare
135º F Medium Rare
145º F Medium
155º F Medium Well

Cooking time for medium rare to medium is approximately 4 to 6 hours or about 1 hour per pound.

Purchase boneless rib roast ( bone in adds flavor but needs longer smoking time)

Recipe/ John McLemore

Super Contributor

thanks for sharing this receipe.

New Contributor

Thanks! I will have the bone tied on. That will take a little longer I suppose .
Honored Contributor

You're Welcome.

Honored Contributor

On 7/12/2014 pru said: Thanks! I will have the bone tied on. That will take a little longer I suppose .

I'm pretty sure we cooked with bone on. That's the only way they sell them around here. I know DH has also had to cut the bone off before if it would not stand up because of the way the butcher cut it. That's the best part. YUM!!!