Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,506
Registered: ‎09-16-2010

@hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

Have you made the pepper jelly recipe that is in the book for the jam and jelly maker?If so did you like it? I used the ball electric canner yesterday and love it. I made my recipe for pepper jelly yesterday. Had trouble trying to get mixture to the necessary rolling boil stage and cook for the necessary time. Trying to fill the last jar the mixture was already jelled or very firm. I processed in the canner for 10 minutes. Two of the jar tops popped. Unless I missed it - never heard the  remaining 4 jars pop- will they be safe to eat or should I just trash? I used the 4 ounce jars. There was some steam on the kitchen cabinet from the canner but I just stood there and kept wiping the steam off.

We are going to Walmart in the morning for me to purchase more canning supplies. DH stated if they have the jam and jelly maker he might get it for another birthday gift. We sampled my jelly and it tasted good. I used the reduced sugar pectin. We can't eat real hot food but this was mild with a good taste. I didn't know if I could use my pepper jelly recipe in the jelly maker. My recipe calls for one box of the pectin, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 3 cups sugar and 2 cups of chopped and drained peppers. Thank you for any information or suggestions.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,538
Registered: ‎09-01-2010

Re: @hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

@SouthernBee 

Just because you didn't hear the lids pop doesn't mean they didn't seal.   Pushing the lid down in the very center will tell you if that jar sealed; if there's no movement, the jar is sealed.   If you hear a sound when you push down, that jar did not seal and you need to use a new lid and reprocess, OR put the jar in the fridge to eat now. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,506
Registered: ‎09-16-2010

Re: @hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

@RedTop : Thank you for taking time to share this information.❤️


@RedTop wrote:

@SouthernBee 

Just because you didn't hear the lids pop doesn't mean they didn't seal.   Pushing the lid down in the very center will tell you if that jar sealed; if there's no movement, the jar is sealed.   If you hear a sound when you push down, that jar did not seal and you need to use a new lid and reprocess, OR put the jar in the fridge to eat now. 


 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,506
Registered: ‎09-16-2010

Re: @hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

@RedTop : Just opened one of the jelly jars that I didn't hear the seal pop. I had to pry the top off. The jelly was a pretty green , not to dark and was set. Really liked the taste. I appreciate your help.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,506
Registered: ‎09-16-2010

Re: @hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

This morning we went to the bigger Walmart across town to see if they had a better selection of canning supplies . The first thing DH picked up was the Ball Jam and Jelly maker. He asked me if the $99 was a good price and I said of course. He said: Ok. Another birthday gift for you. I decided to get two cases of the 4 ounce jars because they were less than $8 and purchased more pectin. I am very Blessed with a wonderful husband. Ok - in reality he loves the home made goodies😁❤️.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 885
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: @hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

Hi!  I am sorry I didn't see this earlier to reply.  I have not made the pepper jelly recipe so I can't help you with that one.  We have done strawberry, black raspberry and peach.  I love the jam and jelly maker! We have made grape jelly before.

 

I would think that you would be able to freeze your jelly if the jars didn't seal.

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 885
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: @hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

If you had to pry the top off you have a good seal.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,506
Registered: ‎09-16-2010

Re: @hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

@hellokitty :  I understand because everyone is busy and issues with trying to sign in and post. Thank you. I hope to make peach and grape jelly. Interesting that just recently friends and SIL have said that they remembered and wished they had more of my pepper jelly. SIL said she had to pry the lid off her jar.


@hellokitty wrote:

Hi!  I am sorry I didn't see this earlier to reply.  I have not made the pepper jelly recipe so I can't help you with that one.  We have done strawberry, black raspberry and peach.  I love the jam and jelly maker! We have made grape jelly before.

 

I would think that you would be able to freeze your jelly if the jars didn't seal.

 


 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,506
Registered: ‎09-16-2010

Re: @hellokitty - the jam and jelly maker ?

 


@hellokitty wrote:

If you had to pry the top off you have a good seal.


I was relieved because I didn't want to give anyone any thing bad especially my SIL because she is very picky and known to create drama with the family. Yet she begs me to bake or make things for her.