Trusted Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

Does anyone have one of those egg cookers that makes boiled eggs with steam and poaches eggs with steam, make omelets, steam vegies?

How do you like it, does it really do eggs well., or is it hype?  HSN has the Dash brand.

I have the small version, I purchased it from Walmart.  I really like it.  There are several brands of them, all of them seem pretty much the same.  I've made all kinds of eggs in mine, haven't tried to steam veggies in it.  I have a microwave steamer I use for veggies.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought the MCM version when it was first presented on QVC, and it is still working perfectly--I use it about once a week for either hardboiled eggs or a quick omelet, and about once a month or so for poached eggs. Everything comes out great! My sister came over once while I was making hardboiled eggs and was impressed with the unit, so I bought her one; she uses it almost every single day. And then I ended up buying six more for various family members and friends. All of us love our egg cookers... Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have it & it’s great!!! 😊

Honored Contributor

Yes. It really works pretty good. DH loves it. He says it's the only way to make boiled eggs. The eggs are so much easier too peel.

Trusted Contributor

I laughed at my best friend when she first talked about buying an egg cooker.  Now it is the "if you could only have one kitchen gadget" that I wouldn't want to be without.  Mine is the little Cuisinart someone else mentioned.  Perfect easy-to-peel hard-cooked or poached eggs every time, and no watching a saucepan.  I even bought a second one for making big batches of deviled eggs all at one time for potlucks.  I do use distilled water in mine just because our well water is loaded with minerals which could leave a residue as the water evaporates.

FYI - you measure the amount of water to put in the cooker depending on how many eggs you're cooking at one time and whether you want poached, soft-, medium-, or hard-cooked eggs.

Respected Contributor

I have not mastered poached eggs as I keep trying to make what I have work, an older metal pan with insert cups.  They always stick.  That said, the Instant Pot is the bees knees for cooking a batch of hard boiled eggs and I can make a perfect omelet or quiche the old fashioned way.  One more small appliance I don't need. 

If anyone knows how to make the metal egg cups work, I'm interested.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

I have not mastered poached eggs as I keep trying to make what I have work, an older metal pan with insert cups.  They always stick.  That said, the Instant Pot is the bees knees for cooking a batch of hard boiled eggs and I can make a perfect omelet or quiche the old fashioned way.  One more small appliance I don't need. 

If anyone knows how to make the metal egg cups work, I'm interested.

@Free2be  I used to spray them with Pam or put a dab of butter in and let it melt then crack the egg in.

Esteemed Contributor

Before I got my egg cooker, I always poached eggs the old-fashioned way in a pot of simmering water--I actually found that method much simpler and more reliable than any of the inserts or cups.

However, I recently came across this article online for an updated, easy way to poach eggs without all the crazy tornado action or vinegar:
https://skillet.lifehacker.com/this-is-the-chillest-easiest-way-to-poach-an-egg-1825889759

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

We have the one Mark Charles offered in the past.  I love it and always do my hard cooked eggs in it.  In fact, I just made a dozen eggs this morning.  Some for snacks and some for egg salad since we will be in the tripe digits for 4 or 5 days here in So. California.

It makes 6 eggs at a time and there is no waiting to cool down time if you want to make more.  It comes with the tool to pierce the eggs.  I have a bowl of ice and water waiting and when the eggs are done, I put them in the bowl of iced water for a minute, crack them against the side of the sink, put them back in the water,take  them out and shell them.  The shells literally slide right off.  So easy.

Respected Contributor

@SoonerThanks, I do oil the cups but obviously not enough.

@loriqvcI bookmarked that page for future use and laughed out loud reading it.