Honored Contributor

Cool enough to do meatloaf tonight

I'm hunting on line to see what people say is THEBEST meatloaf.  I always like to see what different people think makes their meatloaf or any other dish, such a winner.  It's fun to compare them.  It's amazing that the different ones from around the country compare.

Do you have a secret ingredient, that you think just makes it great?!! I'd love to hear.  I'm going to do mine tonight with steak sauce.  Love to try new recipes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cool enough to do meatloaf tonight

@qualitygalIsn't today's weather a gift?  I'm also going to cook tonight, first time for me in several days.  No A/C in my little kitchen but I was fortunate to have friends who invited me to dinner several nights. 

I love meatloaf (mine's really basic) but I need a low cholesteral meal today, so chicken and baked potato are on my menu, but I'll be watching your responses for ideas for another week.  Too much cheese and shrimp this week to add beef today.

Respected Contributor

This is our favorite from Paula Deen's Lady & Sons Cookbook. Actually it's a little to0 soft for our taste so I cut the sour cream in half. I like that it uses crushed crackers instead of bread or oatmeal for the binder. Also I don't put the sauce on top - I just like my meatloaf with ketchup!

Cheeseburger Meatloaf and Sauce

From "The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook"

2 lb ground beef
2 tsp House Seasoning
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium belle pepper, chopped
1 C grated cheddar cheese
1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
1 C sour cream
1 C crushed Ritz crackers
1 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
8-10 slices white bread

Preheat oven to 325. Mix all ingredients except bread slices well. Shape into loaf. Place loaf on 1" deep jelly roll pan lined with white bread slices. bake loaf for 45-60 minutes. The bread absorbs the grease and should be discarded after loaf is removed from oven.

Sauce
1 10.5oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 soup-can measure or milk
1 1/2 C grated cheddar cheese

Heat soup and milk over medium heat; add cheese. Pour over meatloaf or pass at the table.

The Lady & Sons House Seasoning

From "The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook"

1 C salt
1/4 C black pepper
1/4 C garlic powder

Mix well. Store in shaker near stove for convenience.
Honored Contributor

The top recipe was mom’s. Since my dad didn’t like tomatoes in dishes, she reluctantly left them out. She poured a can of tomato sauce on top towards end of cooking time , added bacon slices, and cooked a few more minutes. This is the recipe used growing up.

the bottom recipe is from Nelson’s Buffeteria my mom cut out of the newspaper many years ago. The restaurant has moved from the downtown area but is still very popular today. Food is awesome and definitely not for dieters.

image.jpg

Honored Contributor

I put green peppers in mine, but honestly I don't think I've made a tasty meatloaf in the past 10 years. I don't know what happened!

It doesn't matter wht recipe I use either.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine is pretty simple but so good.  It is a small meatloaf but only my hubby and me at home so this is the perfect size for us with enough for left overs.

1 pound ground beef

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper

1 large egg lightly beaten

8 ounces of petite diced tomatoes including juice

1/2 cup quick cook rolled oats

Topping:

1/3 cup of ketchup

2 tbs brown sugar

1 tsp yellow mustard

Combine and mix well.

Combine beef, onion, green pepper, salt, and pepper.  Mix in egg, then add diced tomatoes and oats.  Place mixture in baking dish or pan and form into a loaf.  Spread the topping over the mixture and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for one hour.

This is Paula Deen's basic or old fashioned meatloaf recipe I found online several years ago.  We don't like toppings on our meatloaf.  I just sprinkle the top with coarsely ground black pepper and it gives it a nice crust on top.  The topping is really good, DH and I prefer the pepper crust on top.  The recipe also calls for canned petite tomatoes without the juice.  The first time I made it I though it was too dry so I included the juice the next time.  Perfect!  Oh, and I always mix this in my Kitchen Aid stand mixer on low speed.  Works great and I don't have to get my hands yucky. 

Respected Contributor

I have two recipes that I really like.

Dice a small onion, half a red pepper and half a green pepper and saute just until soft.  Let cool.

Add to:

1 lb ground beef

1/2 lb mild ground italian sausage

1 beaten egg

1/4 cup chili sauce

1/4 cup bread crumbs done in the blender

1/8 cup milk

1 tsp italian seasoning (or more)

1 tsp season salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 shakes of worchestershire sauce

shake of garlic powder if desired

Moosh it all together and bake at 350

Half way through I drain the fat and add the topping:

1/2 cup ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tsp cider vinegar

#2 is my adaptation of the Pioneer Woman's recipe

Saute the onion, red and green pepper as in above.  I do this because they don't cook well enough inside the loaf.

Add to:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

1/2 lb mild ground sausage (or use 2 lb ground beef)

3 slices of white bread that I put in the blender and make crumbs

2 beaten eggs

1 cup grated Italian cheese

1/2 tsp season salt

pepper to taste

1 Tab italian seasoning

2 tsp dried parsley

1/4 cup milk

Moosh it all together and form as a loaf in a pan.  Wrap the loaf in bacon strips.

Bake in a 350 oven.  Half way through baking I drain the grease and add the sauce on top:

1 cup ketchup

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tsp yellow mustard

about 3 shakes of tobasco sauce

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  I don't like typical meatloaf with onions, ketchup, pickles, etc.  I grew up with what I call Italian meatloaf.  With 1 egg per pound of meat (both pork and beef and sometimes ground pepperoni).  Add spaghetti sauce then add seasoned bread crumbs and lots of Italian Seasoning.  Sometimes I will put a piece of Mozzarella cheese in the center.  Brush more sauce on top and sprinkle with grated Mozzarella.  Bake like typical meatloaf.  I also make it with a jar of Au Jus instead of the sauce and season with ground rosemary.   

Respected Contributor

Now I want meatloaf.  I keep it simple too.

1-2 lbs ground beef

1 package of Lipton Onion soup mix

salt and pepper to taste

1-2 eggs (one per pound of meat)

1T Worcestershire Sauce

2 pieces of bread soaked in a few splashes of milk

Mix all together, shape into a loaf on a broiler pan so the fats drain, and bake at 350 till done.  I don't top it with ketchup or sauce since we all decide on our own.  Sometimes gravy to go with the mashed potatoes or sometimes ketchup.  Always ketchup and mayo on the meatloaf sandwiches for the next day.

Respected Contributor

The best meatloaf I ever had was frosted with mash potato's after the grease was blotted off when it was cooled and a thin piece of velveeta cheese was plated on every slice that would be made. Just put the meatloaf back in for about 6-8 minutes on 350 degrees. Cool once again and slice. So very delicious.And only cook it until cheese is melted.