Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

My son for his daughters bday this year.  Thought they'd be getting a delicious moist cake for $100...can you imagine the shipping was $20+.  Was shipped frozen. Wasn't what they expected taste wise -- spoiled by me baking their bday cakes every year.  Of course, this year was a "zoom" bday so I baked 6" replica (4 layer) for us to enjoy...

They wanted unicorn cake but couldn't do it since bakery on limited staff -- so this is what they ended up with.  My GD was thrilled because it was from "Carlos in Hoboken".  Hey you only turn 8 once, right🙂

EA5684E3-D709-43C3-B5C4-909982800867.jpeg

I must still be tired because I'm a little confused- did you bake this cake or is it from Carlos (cake boss)? It looks so yummy I want a bite!

Trusted Contributor

Wow - Goldbelly right now has one rainbow cake from Carlos, plus another one free with shipping included for $69. The BIG rainbow cake is $99, but the smaller one is beautiful, PLUS you get a second one free. Good thing my freezer is filled with bagels I get from Goldbelly!!!

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 

The cake in the pic is from Carlo's.  I made replicate for us to have a slice during her "zoom" bday party and enjoy!

I just used white cake mix and made lots of colored layers.  I used 6" pan - made 3 different colored cakes - cut each layer in 1/2 and used buttercream icing.  Then sprinkled whole cake. 

My cost: Under $10

Honored Contributor
Saw a bunch of Cake Boss stuff like baking pans, spatulas, etc. at the
$ Tree a few months ago. Didn’t think to see if any cakes were there....LOL
Honored Contributor

Re: cake boss cakes

[ Edited ]

We did the same for a “ Unicorn cake” for granddaughter bday. Did layers in pink and lavender and used a sugar ice cream cone for the “ horn”. Tons of glittery sprinkles. Total cost, about $10. Imagine the profit margin for Cake Boss and QVC!

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Ladybug724 

The cake in the pic is from Carlo's.  I made replicate for us to have a slice during her "zoom" bday party and enjoy!

I just used white cake mix and made lots of colored layers.  I used 6" pan - made 3 different colored cakes - cut each layer in 1/2 and used buttercream icing.  Then sprinkled whole cake. 

My cost: Under $10

You sure saved yourself a bunch of cash!  bet yours was delicious too.  Way to go!!!!

Occasional Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

My son for his daughters bday this year.  Thought they'd be getting a delicious moist cake for $100...can you imagine the shipping was $20+.  Was shipped frozen. Wasn't what they expected taste wise -- spoiled by me baking their bday cakes every year.  Of course, this year was a "zoom" bday so I baked 6" replica (4 layer) for us to enjoy...

They wanted unicorn cake but couldn't do it since bakery on limited staff -- so this is what they ended up with.  My GD was thrilled because it was from "Carlos in Hoboken".  Hey you only turn 8 once, right🙂

EA5684E3-D709-43C3-B5C4-909982800867.jpeg

I must still be tired because I'm a little confused- did you bake this cake or is it from Carlos (cake boss)? It looks so yummy I want a bite!

I replied and it was removed? 

But yes, we ordered from Goldbelly too and were NOT impressed with rainbow cake. Icing was the worst, super cheap tasting. No idea who will get the 2nd one from the freezer - most of the first one went in the trash. Note Cake Boss food items -they  do not share their ingredients or nutritional information anywhere. I wish I had waited for the David's Cookies pastel rainbow cake to come back in stock as it is now, I have a feeling it's much much better. I hope people don't get burned with the Christmas Cake by Cake Boss!