Honored Contributor

Re: Yuck🤮 .... Canned Icing

I'm not a frosting snob. Sure, I like homemade but in a pinch canned frosting does just fine. No one complains, in fact guests seem to LOVE it. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I had used canned frosting many years ago and never remember it being so horrible😮.  

A few years ago I bought a can of frosting, remembering how good it was when I was a kid. Prior to that I always made frosting from scratch or else made a strudel topping or served cakes topped with fruit. The frosting was TOTALLY, UTTERLY inedible. Gag! Gag! Gag! Oh my!  Smiley Tongue The years have not been kind to canned frosting. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 

Your post made me chuckle "icing snob" here's the kicker.  I iced cupcake with DH vanilla frosting (leftover from my bundt cake disaster) figuring spouse hardly eats sweets, therefore, most likely wouldn't notice.

I made him french vanilla w/ lemon curd filling cupcake iced & topped with coconut for his birthday.  He said that was delicious the icing wasn't too sweet and tasted great🤔.  Just the opposite of what I thought! 

He asked me to make him another for snack thru the week...now, I'm thinking it's ME!

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@ID2 

Your post made me chuckle "icing snob" here's the kicker.  I iced cupcake with DH vanilla frosting (leftover from my bundt cake disaster) figuring spouse hardly eats sweets, therefore, most likely wouldn't notice.

I made him french vanilla w/ lemon curd filling cupcake iced & topped with coconut for his birthday.  He said that was delicious the icing wasn't too sweet and tasted great🤔.  Just the opposite of what I thought! 

He asked me to make him another for snack thru the week...now, I'm thinking it's ME!

When I bought the canned frosting and discovered how bad it tasted, my DH just chuckled and said "I'm surprised you bought that. Didn't you know that canned frosting can be used as a chemical weapon?" He wouldn't touch it and he's about as far from a gourmet foodie as anyone can be. He'll usually eat anything. 

Respected Contributor

I'm an icing snob.  I detest canned icing.  It is so easy to make a great tasting, HOMEMADE icing.

Valued Contributor

try adding some marshmellow creme to it next time

Trusted Contributor

There are recipes to doctor canned icing. I’ve tasted canned icing that I think is good. I’m not a snob about food and depending on circumstances, I can go either way. I probably cook more homemade meals than most people. I love to cook, but don’t bake a whole lot because of watching calories. For parties, years ago with many more guests I would make desserts. Now, my local grocery store has the best bakery and cute decorations to boot, so I use them.
Esteemed Contributor

I use canned icing.  However, never vanilla.  If I want "white" icing, I always get buttercream.  I always used to get B. Crocker or Duncan Hines b.cream,  but haven't been able to find any but whipped in B.Crocker and none in DH.  Don't like the whipped icings.  But........one day I spied b.cream in Pillsbury.  It's good.

Otherwise, I use cream cheese or milk chocolate in B. Crocker or DH, and the coconut pecan for german choc cake.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

I use canned icing.  However, never vanilla.  If I want "white" icing, I always get buttercream.  I always used to get B. Crocker or Duncan Hines b.cream,  but haven't been able to find any but whipped in B.Crocker and none in DH.  Don't like the whipped icings.  But........one day I spied b.cream in Pillsbury.  It's good.

Otherwise, I use cream cheese or milk chocolate in B. Crocker or DH, and the coconut pecan for german choc cake.

Like you @Patriot3  I do not like the whipped, just does not taste right.  Favorite also the cream cheese or a fudge.  I take 1/2 can of coconut pecan sometimes and mix with a half brick of cream cheese and bake in a small box of brownies, YUM.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."