Respected Contributor

Re: Yuck🤮 .... Canned Icing

I have never used icing in a can. It’s so easy to whip up butter, powdered sugar, and whatever flavoring I need (cocoa, fresh lemon, vanilla, etc.) that I see no need to buy a can. I don’t bake cakes often, but if I do, I want them to be good! Butter and sugar aren’t healthy, but I would be more afraid of the hydrogenated fat and fake flavors in canned icing.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

I don't know if vanilla would have "helped" it.  I think once you're used to "fresh homemade" buttercream or cream cheese nothing compares.

I won't be lazy again -- to think I bought a couple chocolate too!

I will donate them in food pantry box...

Why would anyone want to eat something that tastes like wallpaper paste?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@libbyannE 

Obviously I was lazy ... well, that backfired!

I am a great baker and have owned my own baking & catering business so I know how yummy homemade is🙂.

I had used canned frosting many years ago and never remember it being so horrible😮.  These were 8 little bundt cakes didn't need 5-6 cups of frosting & I hardly bake anymore so freezing the excess would be a waste.

I agree lots of ****** in this little can.🙄 and lesson learned😉

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 

Hi there. I wasn’t being critical of you but of canned frosting. Clearly, you know what you’re doing or you wouldn’t even have noticed how bad the canned stuff is. I apologize for not making that clear.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Pure sugar....a toxic mine field.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE 

thank you -- a little humor!  I was telling my son about my horrible canned icing.

He said to me "you the crazy perfectionist baker BOUGHT that c###"...he said "my wife tried to tell me the icing on my bday cake was homemade" he said "you do know I can tell it's not after 30+ years of my mom's cakes!"

He made me laugh -- he told her never buy that again & my mother can teach you how to make real icing"...oh boy bet that wasn't a "pleasant" moment!🤷‍♀️🙃

have a good nite😀

Contributor

I love love love me some canned frosting yum yum  right out of the can  delicious ❤️

Contributor

Sounds good to me ❤️

Honored Contributor

@barbie4njdevils 

love your screen name🏒 if it's being a NJ Devils fan👍🏻

my son always like the Devils or Penguins while his brother was a diehard Flyers fan & still is to this day!

Enjoy those "yummy" moments If you lived near me I'd happily give you the 2 chocolate icings 🧁🧁🧁

Super Contributor

It seems like most people I know don’t even know how to make icing. They think it’s a big deal to make homemade frosting. They think it should taste like the canned stuff. It’s SO EASY to make homemade  and so much better.

Cooking is becoming a lost art.