Honored Contributor

I was having girls brunch and decided to "cheat" on dessert.  Big Mistake😡.

I made cute individual bundt cakes and normally I make my own icing...being "lazy" decided to buy can of Duncan Hines vanilla frosting. 

YUCK it tasted like wallpaper paste!  I could not believe it -- I haven't used in years but never remember it tasting so bad☹️.

Did the ingredients change?

Honored Contributor

Re: Yuck🤮 .... Canned Icing

I have tasted canned icing a few times and it is horrible!  I use butter, powdered sugar, flavoring, and a pinch of salt.  Whip up with a fork! 

Honored Contributor

• @homedecor1.  I think it's always been bad.  It tastes like a chemical stew.  At least the taste is somewhat camouflaged with the chocolate but it's all bad.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 @I haven’t bought the icing in a can but I just wanted to say that I am sorry that icing spoiled those cute bundt cakes.I find icing the easy part to make and the cake to be the most work so if I cheat I go fake cake and homemade frosting.

Honored Contributor

I don’t know if this would help, but I read a tip once that if you add vanilla to the canned icing it would taste more like homemade. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

FYI:  I did toss the 8 iced with canned frosting😡

(I made 2 trays so I pulled out of freezer).

I ended up making a glaze (conf sugar, milk & squeeze of fresh lemon).

I garnished with lemon slice & strawberry.  They were perfect and "thawed" by the time we "enjoyed" dessert.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

I don't know if vanilla would have "helped" it.  I think once you're used to "fresh homemade" buttercream or cream cheese nothing compares.

I won't be lazy again -- to think I bought a couple chocolate too!

I will donate them in food pantry box...

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why anyone would throw out desserts because of the "canned icing". Could you just slice off the top (with the canned frosting) and at least just add some fresh fruit and maybe drizzle a simple powdered sugar/lemon glaze over it? Sorry, but I'm always just amazed with the amount of food that is just thrown out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 

these were "mini" bundt cakes which I iced -- therefore, no way to salvage OR scrape off.  

Rarely, do I throw away food -- any excess food in my pantry is always donated to our community food pantry.  I am sure there are those who appreciate it!

In this case, trash was the best option!

Honored Contributor

Have you read the ingredients.  It is nothing but artificial and chemical stuff.