Honored Contributor

We went to a community farmers market Sat. I had called ahead and told them to  save me some green tomatoes .  Only way you can get them before they're scooped up.

So, I get there and say how much do I owe you ? He says "15" 

Yikes ! for 6 tomatoes. Green to boot. They're nice and pretty big.

DH says too big he likes smaller.

Averages 2.50 a tomato. I  know they're a lot of trouble and  all that, but,

seemed kind of high to me.

Won't be  wasting those I can tell you.

Esteemed Contributor

I am shocked at the prices at supermarkets but now the farmers market? Wow. Hope your tomatoes are delicious. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a Southern Belle like you @SharkE , and I don't know how to make friend green tomatoes; but, I have no intention of paying $2.50 a tomato!

Love lobster, but, when the prices are ridiculous, I don't buy.  Anyways, hope you enjoy themWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

It's been my experience that "farmers markets" are always way more expensive than the supermarket.  Can't attest to the quality since we rarely, if ever, have bought from them.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always found that our local farmers' markets are higher in pricing than any store.  However, the variety and quality are usually much better, so that is the trade-off.  The only thing that I found at one of them is the number of items coming from China.  I want my produce from a farmer's market to be from their farm or at least as local as possible.  I do not want garlic from China.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Same here.  There's a local farmer who sets up a tent in a parking lot.  I like to get tomatoes from him but they're expensive.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE    You have a big yard.  Why in the world don't you plant a few tomatoes and peppers?  You can grow in large containers.  Hook up drip irrigation to water them.  I've done this for years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I'm willing to pay farmer's market prices because everything I've bought is that much better.  All local -- nothing from afar!

Valued Contributor

The reasons I go to Farmers' Markets, to save money and support local farmers. And its fun. If prices are as high as stores, I'll have to forego it this year.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SharkE    You have a big yard.  Why in the world don't you plant a few tomatoes and peppers?  You can grow in large containers.  Hook up drip irrigation to water them.  I've done this for years.

@Kachina624 

He does, grow 'em in pots of dirt, but, they don't get  very big and only get a few from the plant.

in Tx. unless you grow them in water they don't do well down here. Up in Ind whole lot better. People used to give me green & red both they had so many. I just get 'em while I can.

Guess you have to figure all fruits & vegetables are here today and gone tomorrow and in these troubled times might as well shell out for what you can get. Can't take it with you. LOL