Respected Contributor

Should I Throw Out This Bacon?

I took out of my freezer an unopened package of bacon put it on the counter and forgot about it and there it stayed all night. Should I throw this out? I didn't open it to see if it smelled bad but I think it may be no good. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I Throw Out This Bacon?

Being pork (or any meat) I wouldn't chance food poisoning, it's a very nasty thing!

As hard as it may be to throw away BACON!, I would.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@cuddlesmama  I wouldn't risk it in the best of times.  I Really would not risk an avoidable trip to the doctors these days.

Esteemed Contributor

Throw it away... not worth the risk.

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone much appreciated, I just needed this confirmation. Thanks

Valued Contributor

'When in doubt, Throw it out!'

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama Sad, but I do agree with tossing it.

I will add this -  I am now so capable of starting something and then walking into another room and totally forgetting about what I started, that I now set a kitchen timer for the lonest time I'm willing not to come back and finish what I started.  For me, that bacon would have had a 30-minute timer at the longest before I'd have to work with it.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@cuddlesmama Sad, but I do agree with tossing it.

I will add this -  I am now so capable of starting something and then walking into another room and totally forgetting about what I started, that I now set a kitchen timer for the lonest time I'm willing not to come back and finish what I started.  For me, that bacon would have had a 30-minute timer at the longest before I'd have to work with it.

That's a great idea, @millieshops . And if you'd be out of earshot of the timer, you can always set an alarm on your cell phone, or a countdown timer.

Esteemed Contributor

I learned from my mom to defrost in the refrigerator.  Now I think about it, no doubt things like this were the reason why.  A good habit, but limiting.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely toss it.