Respected Contributor

Yes another Chili thread lol

I need advice.

I am cooking vegetarian chili for the fist time. In what order should I add the vegetables so not one under or over cook?

This is what I plan to use ( I am making it all up) williams seasoning, small can tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with habanero peppers, corn, zucchini, garlic cloves, onion, red bell pepper, black beans, red chili beans. And serve with jasmine rice.

I plan to do it in the skillet. I am debating a crock pot for the low setting no longer works only the high .

Trusted Contributor

Re: Yes another Chili thread lol

The nice thing about using your crock pot is that you can go ahead and just put everything in there together all at once for your chili, and just let it cook for a few hours on the high setting, and then you are all done.

This is how I usually make chili when I decide to make a large quantity of it. I use a crock pot for it, and then we get more than one meal out of it. I think that the flavors blend better in the crock pot too, due to the cooking method.

You can then cook your rice separately.

Honored Contributor

Skillet sounds good. I have a suggestion if you have not made it already. Take a teaspoon to 1T whole cumin seeds and place in pie plate in 350 degree oven. Watch carefully. Lightly toast them. I cannot tell you how this changes the flavor, and the aroma. It is really wonderful! You have to toast them, and it is better than powdered cumino. A little diced carrot is nice too. But your ingredients sound wonderful. I love Trader Joes frozen Roasted corn in chili.

Respected Contributor

I think I am going to cave in and make beef chili and add some veges to it

Trusted Contributor

That sounds great. I bet it will be good, with all of those veggies added in. Smile

Contributor

White Chile is a regular staple at our house. Easy to make and serve with Cornbread and honey butter. Simple recipe to make, adding any of your favorites to it. I use one package of chicken tenders, cut into pieces, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, all browned in a dutch oven. Adding 1 can of roasted diced tomatoes, 1 small can of diced green chiles (or jalapenos), 1/2 cup frozen corn, 1/4 cup of uncooked rice, 3 cups of chicken broth and one package of McCormick White Chicken Chile mix. Mix well and bring to boil. Simmer on low for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Savor the smell of lunch or dinner cooking. Serve with diced avocado, diced purple onion, sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips. Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I would love a great vegetarian chili. I may do that if we have another chili cook off at work!