Honored Contributor

Why would you use a food saver for tomatoes and squash?

To freeze them?  To hold them for Sunday's meal?  Totally nuts.  I'm referring to pic on home page.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why would you use a food saver for tomatoes and squash?

No----they would be squished and then watery and soggy---now I freeze tomatoes that have been pureed to add in sauces and soups with a vacuum sealer---am wondering if this sealer has a button for sealing soft things----mine has one for moist stuff---I haven't watched anything on it so not sure and have one so am not buying

Honored Contributor

Tomatoes - no.  Squash, however, is within the realm.  Cut it up in large chunks, vacuum-pack, and put it in the freezer.  I wouldn't do it around here since squash keeps well enough on its own but it may be appropriate where it's hot or humid year-round.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

No----they would be squished and then watery and soggy---now I freeze tomatoes that have been pureed to add in sauces and soups with a vacuum sealer---am wondering if this sealer has a button for sealing soft things----mine has one for moist stuff---I haven't watched anything on it so not sure and have one so am not buying

@wagirl , yes it does have that setting, but I too already have one, so not buying either. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen it advertised that the Food Saver can be used for marinating meat.  Maybe, in the picture, they're marinating a Caprese Salad.  🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

I can see it if you have a large amount of these veg and you want to process them for future use. 

One time I was given a carpload of tomatoes.   I couldn't use them quickly, of course, so I blanched them, skinned them, then put them into portion sized L&L containers, froze them, then popped them out and vac-sealed them for longer storage.  I ended up using them in a couple different recipes for sauces or stews, etc.  But at least I could keep them from going bad and get full use out of a large amount of produce.

That's the key with soft stuff that you don't want getting ruined, or having fluids leak into your vac machine.  You freeze it first and then vac seal the frozen product.

Honored Contributor

Those tomatoes aren't even ripe!