Respected Contributor

Re: Why am I always surprised?

@drizzellla  I believe it is in the constitution that whoever is doing the laundry keeps found money . 

If one is bored it can be quite interesting to check out the items that have worked thier way to the back of the fridge  (trying to escape thier fate of trash/garbage disposal/ or compost) and try to figure out what they are.

DH is in totally foreign territory when asked to retrieve an item from refrig . He recognizes milk,butter , & eggs ,but to find a L&L with a red (?) top --- calls for help . Even when staring right at it. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

At least members of your household know how to look and find things.  With DH and 3 boys - I'm convinced the male species can't find anything unless it flies out and lands in their hand.

I started putting dates on jars/bottles when I opened them.  That way I easily know if I should throw it away.

Respected Contributor

@okaywitheasypay  My significant other is the same.  Other than the milk, butter, eggs location he is clueless with household items of any sort.  

And he's on a roll today.  Where's the Gorilla glue?  Have you seen the coat brush?  Have we got any scouring cleanser?  Should I put loaves of French bread in the oven and what temp (directions are right on the package, by the way) and on and on.  And I was able to direct him correctly and instantly each time.  I know where things are kept usually.  

The items he stays on top of are his tools which are in good order out in a very neat, organized shed in the yard.

Gotta love him, though, and would feel lost without him, but there are times I wish he would go for a leisurely walk or do an outside project so he would be out from underfoot.  That's one of the reasons I'm interacting on here a lot today; trying to tune him out.  Guess what I started to do around the house will keep until tonight after he goes to bed.  He gets up very early and I am the night owl of the pair.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  I just thought of one refrigerator item I keep duplicating - CARROTS! Whether it be the baby carrots or the full-sized, I always bring home a package, only to find at least two half-used packages in two different areas of the refrigerator! Sometimes they are good, and sometimes they are wobbly and have new green tops growing.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@drizzellla  I just thought of one refrigerator item I keep duplicating - CARROTS! Whether it be the baby carrots or the full-sized, I always bring home a package, only to find at least two half-used packages in two different areas of the refrigerator! Sometimes they are good, and sometimes they are wobbly and have new green tops growing.

You got that right. I have 3 bags of baby carrots. My son and I like to eat carrots and hummus. And sometimes he doesn't get home from work until midnight. So he eats carrots and hummus for dinner/snack. And all the sudden the bag of carrots almost disappears. But didn't realize we had 3 bags till yesterday. As you said one bag was in a different area of the refrigerator (next to the hummus). The other 2 bags in the vegetable drawer.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My Mother in Law hid money in a shoe box under the floor of her kitchen sink cabinet.  When she died there was $6,000 under there.  

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@drizzellla There are only 3 at our house, so this doesn't usually happen in our refrigerator. However, the spice cabinet - now that's a different story. And, I'm the only one buying the spices. I've got 2 jars of ground mustard, 3 jars of cumin seeds (including one big one from Costco!), and numerous jars of garlic powder. I could go on and on. I think we both need some sort of inventory list. Maybe Alexa can help with that, but then we would have to check it...hahaha!

Ok @PA Mom-mom this literally made me snort my coffee . . . ah yes those spices do sneak up on you don't they?  And I find they are also great at hiding when I go to look for them only to spring into view when I bring their replacement home . . . sigh.

Honored Contributor

I quit buying condiments because I don't use them and the only time they get eaten is when I have company which is rare.  For a while there I was tossing more condiments in the trash because they were old...what a waste.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I keep most all condiments corralled in Fridge Binz containers, the ones with the lipped handle on the front.  They are great in that you pull out the one container to see everything you have on hand.  The narrow container is perfect for the brands I like in tartar sauce, seafood sauce, horserradish sauce, and dipping sauces, they all line up like little soldiers, same shape containers.  Because salad dressings come in various shapes, a wider Binz is practical and very helpful so there's no excuse to not see that a jar of what is needed is already open.  If you have used the door shelves for condiments, use them for something else.

In desperation for men who refuse to really "look", label the top of the jar in big letters.  Said only barely tongue in cheek.  I'd do it to save myself the hassle of multiple duplicates.  Being that the Fridge Binz are clear they are fairly easy to see what is in them.

Honored Contributor

The door on my frig is a genuine safety hazard, the chance of something falling on your foot is pretty good.  I have stuff jammed in there, mustards, salad dressings, sour cream tubes, horseradish.  Not duplicates, just a lot of variety.