Honored Contributor

Re: Why am I always surprised?

There are 3 people in our house. And my husband subscribed to Milk Street magazine. So once in awhile my husband and son try out recipes. We also bought the cook book for Cook's Country.

They like to try different recipes that they come across.

Respected Contributor

Recently, I took this particular bull by the horns.  We rarely bake, but do sometimes.  My hubby will buy everything again.  The vanilla, the flour, the sugar, you get the idea.  One day I got it all together in one place, so we could see it.  I consolidated what I could, and forbad my husband from buying anything else until he checked the cabinet first.    We had like 3 containers of sugar!  So far, so good, but we'll see what happens when the baking bug hits again.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Coffeegal -

I thought with the 4 bottles of cocktail sauce that one should be old and ready to toss. And every bottle had a September 2019 or later expiration date.

My husband is like you. He list all the ingredients he needs for a recipe and then goes out and buys it. 

Oh and I have 3 bottles of lemon juice. And 2 bottles of lime juice. GRRR! No wonder the refrigerator is full. 

Esteemed Contributor

LOL! Same thing at my house with the refrigerator! DH likes to buy bottles of salad dressing - every time we buy a package of lettuce - even though we have a multitude of dressings already. I don't blame him though. We always take a list of things we need, but then see something and can't remember if we have any of "it" on hand. I'm pretty good about pantry items, but refrigerator stuff gets out of control in our kitchen! Pickles, olives, different flavors of condiments...it's all the new products - that's the problem! Haha!

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

You go girl.  Find any money?  My aunt used to hide cash in her freezer.

Funny you mentioned finding cash. Yesterday my husband was walking the dog, he found $40 in the street. I used to find $$$ in the washing machine. In the old days the dollar bills seem to float to the top. So I would find money - and I kept them too. I figure that was my tip.

Respected Contributor

As for 3 bags of sugar, why not do what appears on Ina Garten’s cooking show:  place the duplicates and triplicates of a product in a large glass container labeled as to the contents.

This way everyone would see how much of an item was already on the shelf ?

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

after reading your post I took a look in my "clean & organized" fridge ...so much for that thought😮

I've been away for a few weeks & thought I cleaned it before I left...yuck in the very back was a bottle of curdled milk, leftover beef stock and rotten vegs (good thing in lock n lock), container of coleslaw...to name a few🙄

I'm going away tomorrow for 10 days so glad I just completely cleaned it out!!! I'm usually pretty good at keeping it cleaned🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@drizzellla 

after reading your post I took a look in my "clean & organized" fridge ...so much for that thought😮

I've been away for a few weeks & thought I cleaned it before I left...yuck in the very back was a bottle of curdled milk, leftover beef stock and rotten vegs (good thing in lock n lock), container of coleslaw...to name a few🙄

I'm going away tomorrow for 10 days so glad I just completely cleaned it out!!! I'm usually pretty good at keeping it cleaned🤷‍♀️

Enjoy your trip! And cleaned out refrigerator. I am jealous.

What started the cleanout was because of a vegetable drawer. There was a package of mini cucumbers that were past their prime. So I cleaned out the vegetable drawer and the fruit drawer. We seem to be so good at buying fixings for salads but not so good at using them.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Coffeegal -

I thought with the 4 bottles of cocktail sauce that one should be old and ready to toss. And every bottle had a September 2019 or later expiration date.

My husband is like you. He list all the ingredients he needs for a recipe and then goes out and buys it. 

Oh and I have 3 bottles of lemon juice. And 2 bottles of lime juice. GRRR! No wonder the refrigerator is full. 

Waste of money and storage eater. I run a tight ship. Thank God my husband wouldn't do any thing in kitchen besides open the refrigerator.

I'm king of my kitchen. LOL

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I, too am guilty of duplicates. I live alone so my "excuse" is, I make sure I have the ing for a recipe and am sure I have something called for in it. I look & look and can't find it, so I buy new and when I get home I open the fridge or cabinet and low & behold--there it is.  I believe I may have gremlins who like to play tricks on me!

cookin