Trusted Contributor

Re: Who's having a Fish Fry tonight???

Here in Rochester, NY fish fry Friday night is a big tradition too. We go often. Has to have salt and vinegar for me!
Trusted Contributor

I absolutely love fish fries, Terrier. Smile

They are a menu staple up here in WI, in many restaurants. You can find them here every Friday of every week, year 'round.

They are not just offered at Lent, although some of the churches around here will offer them as fund-raisers during Lent, and they also happen to be very good, too.

There are restaurants in WI that are well known for their fish fries. Many places are especially known for their all-you-can eat beer battered cod fish dinners.

What the restaurants do is offer you a choice of soup or small salad, and then you usually also get a choice of some kind of potato-sometimes you don't-and then you get a bread basket or bread, and then a small serving of cole slaw, small cup of tartar sauce, and some lemon pieces for your fish, and then a couple of pieces of fried fish.

If you are up to eating some more fish after that, the server will usually bring you an extra plate of fish, after they have asked you how many more pieces of fish you would like to eat. They will usually also bring you more bread, tartar sauce, and lemon, too, for your extra fish.

We don't always go out for a fried fish dinner, but when we do, I save up my appetite for it, as I find the dinners to be very filling. I cannot eat as much like I used to, but I really enjoy a nice dinner like the ones that I described.

Respected Contributor

On 3/6/2015 winamac1 said:
On 3/6/2015 FUTURE said: Sounds good! Hubby and I are going to try a new restaurant that specializes in grilled sandwiches. But we went to lunch today at an Asian place, and he ordered fish and I ordered veggies and noodles, and the girl said, "Oh, I'm glad you got that -- it reminded me no meat for me today!" Smiley Happy Enjoy your fish fry. Sounds fun!!

Hi Future! We are Catholic and hubby reminded me today no chicken. I'm having fish for dinner and had shrimp for lunch. Have a great weekend!

Hey, win!! We actually have gone pescatarian recently, except date night. Smiley Wink We were going to the one sandwich place, super long wait, so we ended up at our favorite little Mediterranean place. I ate about 20 pounds of hummus and tabouli!! They have a skinny pomarita that is TDF!! Enjoy your fish tonight, and have a great weekend yourself! Smiley Wink
Valued Contributor

Never fried fish, but fresh halibut, quinoa and steamed broccoli...Lentern Friday meal.
Honored Contributor

I love fried fish but have never fried it myself and never will. That's something we go out for because there are several places around here that do a great job of fried catfish. Gotta love the South!

Respected Contributor

Well I made omelettes but fish always sounds good to me. Chicken and fish is something I rarely eat in a restaurant as I feel I can cook it better. Except the year we went to Hawaii, we had the catch of the day every day. It was wonderful.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 northernlights said:

I absolutely love fish fries, Terrier. Smile

They are a menu staple up here in WI, in many restaurants. You can find them here every Friday of every week, year 'round.

They are not just offered at Lent, although some of the churches around here will offer them as fund-raisers during Lent, and they also happen to be very good, too.

There are restaurants in WI that are well known for their fish fries. Many places are especially known for their all-you-can eat beer battered cod fish dinners.

What the restaurants do is offer you a choice of soup or small salad, and then you usually also get a choice of some kind of potato-sometimes you don't-and then you get a bread basket or bread, and then a small serving of cole slaw, small cup of tartar sauce, and some lemon pieces for your fish, and then a couple of pieces of fried fish.

If you are up to eating some more fish after that, the server will usually bring you an extra plate of fish, after they have asked you how many more pieces of fish you would like to eat. They will usually also bring you more bread, tartar sauce, and lemon, too, for your extra fish.

We don't always go out for a fried fish dinner, but when we do, I save up my appetite for it, as I find the dinners to be very filling. I cannot eat as much like I used to, but I really enjoy a nice dinner like the ones that I described.

A friend of mine is from Milwaukee and worked here in Buffalo.

She said she felt right at home with our corner tavern fish fry specials. They are here 52 weeks a year too!

Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 HonnyBrown said:

Hi terrier!

Today is our 6th wedding anniversary. DH loves fried fish, so I went to the market to pick some up and they were out. I got him a steak instead, and crab legs for me.

I don't make it because I don't fry anything.

Does that count?

Fish fries in Buffalo have to be eaten in a restaurant - usually a small local tavern. The oldest places sometimes even have a choice of haddock or pike.

That's one of the things I like about them - I get to eat out!

Honored Contributor

Friday night fish fry is a big thing around here. Had perch, potato salad, coleslaw, and rye bread tonight. Coffee and a dessert were included for $13.00.