Honored Contributor

Re: Which Size Pots Do YOU Find Essential?

I have non stick & stainless steel skillets, sauce pans & stock pots. I also have a 4.5 qt with lid. 

I have a carbon steel wok, cast iron skillets, a 5 & 7 qt dutch oven, 2 pressure cookers (1 for backup) LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I use the 1 qt., 2 qt., and 3 qt. sauce pans from Revere Ware the most.  They're light weight and cook evenly.  Never wanted another set.

I also have a duplicate 2 and 3 qt.

See the source image

Respected Contributor

3 qt and 2 qt.  I use these almost exclusively.  I have one larger pot for soup and a duthc Oven for pot roast.  And One large uncovered roaster with a rack for turkey. 

Honored Contributor

I'm done buying sets.  I'll only purchase individual pans as I need them.  I almost exclusively use nonstick, but I do have one heavy stainless steel skillet I really like.  Last thing I need is another stock pot.  I only use it to boil spaghetti anyways. Also, some of the fry/saute pans have gotten so large that I can't even use my one remaining eye when I use them on the larger eye.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a household of one, but I cook for friends quite frequently.  My essentials are:

a 2-quart sauce pan

a 4-quart sauce pan

a 8-inch and a 10-inch skillet

a 8-quart stock pot

a 8-inch fry pan

a 2.5 Quart Brasier

a 5 quart dutch oven

I won't list the other pans that I have that I also use, though rarely.  This doesn't include the bakeware that I use for meals that I cook in the oven. 

I like cooking for friends and I'm sticking with that story, 

Respected Contributor

I took this too "literally" at first, I guess...naming only "pots" I use most.

As for pans...I have an older "Cook's Essential" kind of medium large saute' pan, not sure the diameter...I'd say 10", with one long handle (as opposed to the two side handles type)...been used to death, still love it for a lot of things I make. Stir frys, pasta dishes where I make all the fixin's in that pan, then throw in the pasta last. It's been my workhorse for years.  I have a larger one from the same set, (mom kept buying me CE from Q years ago)...it has the long handle one side and little grip handle at the other end...that's tucked away in the cabinet and I've yet to use it...but it will come in handy should I ever have to make a bigger saute' dish.

I also have a variety of sizes of non-stick fry pans...I use them all. One fried egg in the smallest, to various size frittatas, or side dish saute's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to have the right size for the job. And because I still grow a huge garden and have a small fruit orchard, I process and can a lot of food most years. That requires pots and pans of all sizes. 

I like to have a small one quart for small jobs, and increasing sizes up for whatever I need. I most often just cook for the two of us, but I batch cook often as well, so I use a lot of pans at once and stock pots right up to 10 quarts to cook ahead to freeze. 

I have and use 1 quart, 2 quart, 3 quart and 4 quart sauce pans, as well as stock pots in 6 quart, 8 quart and 10 quart. The biggest ones are kept in the basement and just brought up for occasional use. Don't like them taking up space in the kitchen, but when I need them, I really need them.

All my sauce and stock pots are vintage. I have complete sets of Rever Ware copper bottom and also complets sets of Farberware, older ones. I have a set of waterless cookware that I picked up second hand as well, but I'm just not as in love with it like other people are. I tend to mix and match all three sets, choosing the sizes from the various sets that just feel right. 

I would prefer that since I remodeled the kitchen, I have all matching things, and I could easily do it because I have such big sets, but I like some of the Revere better (big stock pots and my double boiler) and then some of the Farberware pieces better (all the sauce pans) for other things. So I am frustrated that I don't have all matching pans in the cabinet when you open it. I give up the nice streamlined look for a mix match of things that function better for my uses.