Respected Contributor

When you make a baked potato...

Do you prepare it in the oven or microwave?  I love baked potatoes but they have to be made in the oven.  I love to bake them for about an hour depending on the size so they have that crispy outer skin and fluffy insides.  

Years ago there used to be a show on The Food Network called "TIPical MaryEllen" and I remember her saying how she never liked microwaved potatoes because in the microwave the potatoes steam, not bake.  

I'll go out on a limb and say that most people probably do make their potatoes in the microwave but I just don't care for them that way.  I'll never order them in a restaurant because I know that is how they are prepared in a commercial kitchen.

I'm not a fan of microwaving expect for bacon and popcorn.  I don't even like water heated in a microwave to make a cup of tea.  I always tell my husband that if our microwave broke I don't know that I would even bother replacing it.  I have a countertop convection oven that I use it constantly and that's good enough for me.

Respected Contributor

Re: When you make a baked potato...

@J Town Girl I only use the oven for baked potatoes. I put them on a cookie sheet but cook an hour and a half or longer depending on the size of the potatoes.

Honored Contributor

I do mine in the microwave inside a "potato sack" I got at a craft show. We like them, but there is nothing like a potato baked slowly in the oven!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Oh yes, most definitely in the oven but prepared two ways. I like to wrap mine in foil before baking and my husband likes his, well, naked. Ha! I top mine with butter, sour cream, salt, and pepper. My husband simply drowns the heck out of his with salsa. 😲   

Respected Contributor

I use my Ninja air fryer.  Fabulous.  Never a microwave

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oven only.  Hate microwaved baked potatoes.  They are a different texture, grainy.

@J Town Girl I have a instant hot water spigot at my kitchen sink for hot water for tea.

Esteemed Contributor

Crock pot. 

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl   I share your sentiments....favorite potato is baked the old fashion way, if I don't have time...the Instant Pot to the rescue.  I rarely use the microwave and have an electric kettle that boils hot water for hot beverages.

Respected Contributor

Definitely oven if you have the time. However, I have started them in the microwave and finished baking in the oven as a time/taste compromise.

Honored Contributor

An air fryer makes the best, but I microwave mine first a few minutes to get it started, then put in air fryer.