Trusted Contributor

What's the difference between Marinara and Pomodoro sauces?

I'm not Italian and I would like to know the difference between these two sauces. I googled, but I'd like some other answers, too. If you'd like to throw in a recipe that would be nice.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Regular Contributor

Re: What's the difference between Marinara and Pomodoro sauces?

No much difference, really. Both have tomatoes (obviously), both have basil. I've seen recipes for both that may or may not have white wine, prosciutto, oregano, chicken broth, and a few red pepper flakes.

The term Marinara comes from sauce prepared on a fishing boat, so it would contain whatever was in the fridge on the boat. Pomodoro just means tomato, so there's a lot of flexibility there.

What I would say is that pomodoro typifies what is great about Italian cuisine in general: just a few simple, very fresh ingredients. Canned tomato sauce works, but if you want a real treat get fresh tomatoes at the peak of their season, skin and chop, toss in some fresh basil, a pinch of oregano or Italian seasoning, a clove or two of garlic, and you'll have something as special as it is easy. Just sauté the garlic in olive oil until fragrant, toss in the remaining ingredients, and cook maybe 20 minutes.

The marinara recipe would be about the same, but canned tomatoes (a 28 oz can and a 14 oz can are more than enough for a pound of pasta) are quite adequate, and I'd grate in a carrot for color and sweetness. Maybe a small onion too

Respected Contributor

Since we like our sauce thicker, we add a can of tomato paste.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, boby! Very interesting.

jlkz, I like my sauce on the thinner side, so I'll skip the paste. Wink

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

On 6/5/2014 jlkz said: Since we like our sauce thicker, we add a can of tomato paste.

I do the same than add 1/2 can of the empty paste can of wine, more if I feel like it and depending on how much sauce I am making.