Honored Contributor

What kind of pan to use with Curtis Stone's sous vide stick?

Sorry to start a new thread, but my experience has been if you ask a question at the bottom of a thread it usually doesn't get answered.  One question answered (I can use Zip Loc bags) but how about the pan?  I have a deep hard anodized straight sided stock pot, is this OK?  Any type that should be ruled out? I think my stainless have rolled edges, would those not work?

Honored Contributor

Re: What kind of pan to use with Curtis Stone's sous vide stick?

I have no idea what the Curtis Stone machine looks like or how it attaches to the pot, but the container material doesn't matter.

It's just water in it. I use a 12 qt cambro container as my main container with a matching lid that I cut out an area so that my Anova precision cooker can stick out but the pot is still covered. It keeps my cats from playing with the water and also reduces evaporation.

You do need a pot deep enough so that the minimum depth water required to run the immersion circulator can be held. You also don't want it too much distance from the impeller and the bottom of the pot so that all the water circulates well. 

Rolled edges on pots can be an issue depending on how the attachment works for the immersion circulator. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Amazon has a lot of containers.  Just type "sous vide containers".  They all have reviews you can check out.  The plastic ones seem to be good and some of them come with a lid that already has the cut-out to fit the stick in.  Anyway, I had researched this because I had the Curtis Stone stick and I would have chosen one of the rubbermaid containers with the lid.

Frequent Contributor

I used an 8 qt. 6 1/2" tall straight sided pot but you can go taller. You just can't exceed the max fill line with the food in it. I just covered the top of the pot with saran wrap, but I like the idea of cutting a hole in a plastic cover. Thanks JaxsMom!

Honored Contributor

@Hellcat64 wrote:

I used an 8 qt. 6 1/2" tall straight sided pot but you can go taller. You just can't exceed the max fill line with the food in it. I just covered the top of the pot with saran wrap, but I like the idea of cutting a hole in a plastic cover. Thanks JaxsMom!

DITTO!  We use our tall pasta pot without the strainer insert.