Respected Contributor

What is the temp for low and high on a slow cooker?

I want to bake a dish in the oven, like a slow cooker. The recipe says to cook the mac and cheese on low for 3 hours in a slow cooker. I want to do this in the oven instead, what temp. do I set it on?

Trusted Contributor

Re: What is the temp for low and high on a slow cooker?

It used to be that low was the equivalent of 200 degrees, and high was 300. Manufacturers have since changed, and ultimately, they end up being the same temperature in the end (it just takes longer for items to heat on low).

If you want to cook it in your oven, try using 250. If you see it browning too quickly, you can always drop the temp, and if it looks like it is not getting done towards the end of the three hours, bump up the temp. Ultimately, it will just take some experimenting. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

If I understand your question, most mac 'n' cheese is usually cooked in a conventional onen at 350° for 30 - 40 minutes. If you are asking what temp you'd cook it in a regular oven for the same length of time that it takes to cook the dish on LOW in a slow cooker, then perhapd 250° as KYToby stated might work. However, I can't understand why one would waste fuel (gas oe electricity) needlessly in this instance.
Respected Contributor

I made the mac and cheese, and put it on 200* for 3 hours. There were no eggs in the recipe, everything just heated up low and slow.