Honored Contributor

Re: What do you keep your homemade loaf bread in to maintain freshness?

Home made bread molds right away. We do love it and really like it toasted. What we do I slice and then I put 2 slices in freezer bags and freeze it. That way when we want good toast we pop a bag or 2 out of the freezer.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Frequent Contributor

On 1/13/2015 denisemb said:

I use one of these expandable bread boxes and it serves my needs well. Bought mine off Amazon, but I think I saw them on the King Arthur Flour site also. The vent opens in humid climates to release moisture, or closes for dryer climates to keep from getting stale.

Denise, Have you any success with pre-slicing homemade bread and then storing in this box?

Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately, there is o magical solution when it comes to home-baked breads. Because they lack the dough conditioners and preservatives found in commercially-produced breads, they are best eaten within a day or two.

While I do have a gigantic LnL container which will hold an entire loaf, I generally do as many of the other posters do an utilize a zip top bag. Since we go through bread fairly quickly (thanks to a roommate who is an ultra marathon runner), this works best for me. When we do not go through it so quickly (when my roommate is not in training), I generally cut each loaf in half (or sometimes individual slices) and put half in the freezer while keeping half in a bag on the counter.

One thing which may help slightly is the recipe you are utilizing. Most American sandwich-style breads utilize butter and dairy products. These do help retain freshness somewhat. The addition of granular lecithin to the dough may also help. Ultimately, though, without the preservatives, there is no real way to prevent the retrogradation which causes the bread to lose freshness.

I think the solution, ultimately, is to just accept that fresh bread does not last. That is part of its deliciousness, and since it is fairly easy to make with minimal hands-on time, I say just make it (and enjoy it) more often.

Respected Contributor

On 1/13/2015 iQue said:
Denise, Have you any success with pre-slicing homemade bread and then storing in this box?

Sorry, we slice as we go along, so can't help you. Maybe if you read some of the Q&A/reviews on Amazon or King Arthur Flour someone could answer your questions?

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

I make all our breads - I slice them all before storing and then I freeze them. I use zip lock bags or older bread bags, I leave out half a loaf, and freeze the rest. It works for us. We are just the two of us. Someone is starting to save their bread bags for me.

Honored Contributor

I bought some plastic bread bags on Amazon. Just be sure to buy them large enough. Nice if you're sharing with a friend. You get a lot for very little $$$.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Usually I just let my loaf cool off, then I slice it and leave out what we want to eat, and then just freeze the rest in a Ziplock-type bag. I usually use a bread maker to make mine, and I usually make the largest loaf possible at a time.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/13/2015 Kachina624 said: I bought some plastic bread bags on Amazon. Just be sure to buy them large enough. Nice if you're sharing with a friend. You get a lot for very little $$$.

Hey! I'm glad I came back here again! I never knew you could order bread bags on Amazon. Now I will. I like the clear plastic ones without other old bread wrappers I have been using. Thanks for this great idea! Sometimes I make a lot at one time.

Respected Contributor

I find that my G-Free breads mold rather quickly, so pre-slicing them and freezing them is the way to go. I just need to get one of those gadgets that lets you slice bread evenly into "normal" sized slices.

Trusted Contributor

Are you making bread from scratch, or are you using a bread machine?

My grandma always made home made bread each week. I need to dig out the recipe and make some myself.

I have a big bread machine I also need to dust off.