Honored Contributor

Re: What do you fix for Thanksgiving when there are only two of you?

We like chicken much better than turkey.

Respected Contributor

#1. choice would be to go out and eat.

#2. choice would be to make one of those turkey breasts with the gravy packet included and cook it in the crockpot. That is soooo good and tender. If I was going to bother to cook it would be traditional. I would only cook the basics and not lots of sides. Of course we would have desert which would probably be pumpkin cake (easy to make) and whip topping.

Honored Contributor

I can't live without leftovers ...... so I'm getting a 6lb boneless turkey that has both white and dark meat, and smaller versions of gravy, yams, Stove Top doctored up, etc. and don't forget the pumpkin pie ... {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Or go all out and order Chinese ...... {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

If it's just you & DH, why not make him his favorite dinner or a nice romantic dinner for 2? Glass of wine or inexpensive champage or Asti and a couple of candles on the table?

Write him a note or give him a card on his dinner plate.

Tell him why you're thankful to have him in your life over the years. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

DH and I spent 11 Thanksgivings alone. We'd make turkey sandwiches and go for a picnic. It was a beloved tradition that we'll be sure to readopt when it's just the two of us again.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

Thank you all, for the inspiration to do a dinner of some sorts. Lots of ideas. Sometimes I feel we are the only ones not involved in big huge family dinners, but I guess there are lots of twosomes or singles out there on a holiday such as this. We have been by ourselves during these times many years, but this year I guess I am feeling a little sad about it, but your posts have cheered me up and puts me in the mood to do something about it and celebrate in our own way. You posters are the BEST and I am thankful for you.

Trusted Contributor

Nomar, you are not the only one who doesn't have a large family. Think of us all as your QVC on-the-boards family. DH & I do not have children, but this year we are invited to a niece's house for Thanksgiving. We have been by ourselves for the last 2 Christmas days & probably will be this year. This year will be a bit harder, as it's the 1st year w/o our last fur baby who is no longer with us. Tess always had her only stocking, so that will make things harder for us. On Christmas Day, we have been having our own celebratory dinner: something that's special for us like a beef tenderloin, a basket of homemade rolls, some kind of special salad, and a veggie. Then I will have whatever desert he would like, probably a small apple pie. It's been this way since all of our parents are now passed on but we celebrate as our own little family unit. Happy Thanksgiving to you all, especially those who are alone on that day.

Honored Contributor

Frankly, after I cook for the church dinner the week before Thanksg. for people who aren't as lucky as we are I feel I've done my contribution. On the actual holiday I don't miss the hub bub of being around family that I don't care for. I'm thankful that we've moved and it's just the 2 of us. LOL Not everybody enjoys the mess company makes, the noise, the snarking, people in your bathrooms, etc. Nobody wants to do dishes or clean up , but, they don't mind the free food.

I'm thankful I can kick back and watch Black Friday people camping out in front of the stores on the TV and forget the rest. Fried chicken sounds good.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/19/2014 Snowpuppy said:

If it's just you & DH, why not make him his favorite dinner or a nice romantic dinner for 2? Glass of wine or inexpensive champage or Asti and a couple of candles on the table?

Write him a note or give him a card on his dinner plate.

Tell him why you're thankful to have him in your life over the years. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

If her dh is anything like mine, good luck. I tried that with candles and the whole shebang and after a few minutes he jumped up and turned all the lights on. Said he couldn't see what he was eating !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Two here also but I do the traditional meal, I just make a smoked turkey as they're smaller. For green bean casserole I use only 1 can of green beans, I also make the broccoli rice casserole but again, enough for the meal and a little leftovers. I use 4 sweet potatoes for the candied yams, and I do an 8x8x2 of the stuffing, mash potatoes just for the meal and rolls, and of course 1 can of cranberry jelly. 1 pumpkin and 1 apple crisp pie with ice cream. To me it wouldn't be Thanksgiving with the traditional meal.