Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Is The Oldest Cookbook You Own?

[ Edited ]

I threw some out.  I have the 1950 Betty Crocker red one and I have "World's Famous Chefs Cookbook" by Ford and

Edith G Naylor, copyrighted 1941.  It is a collection of "rare old recipies" and has some from the S S Normandie, the Bellevue-Stratford, Antoines in NOLA and some of the old famous hotels of the day.  In the front it says, "More homes are wrecked by the daily menu than by......the other woman!"  

Esteemed Contributor

THE GOOD HOUSEKEEPING COOKBOOK..1963

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy do I love this topic!

These two are my oldest. The picture book is from 1950 and it has notes in it from the original owner, for instance "Made this for Tommy's birthday - it was a bit hit".

The Cooky Book is from 1963, but I love it just as much.

cook books.jpg

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@OM13 wrote:

It's entitled Favorite Eastern Star Recipes, Olde Family Favorites. My mother gave it to me in 1966 as a Christmas gift. There seems to be no publishing date. I it is my absolute favorite and many have tried to get a copy. At the time of receiving it I was sooo insulted, because I swore to never marry.....lol! My Mom said "You have to eat don't you"? There are many cookbooks in our home, but this is the first place I look for something that will turn out wonderful!

@1920712My great aunt was a member of the Eastern Star.

Frequent Contributor

I don't know if this counts but I have home made cookbooks from my great grandma had from the late 1800 s, when they came to America she was a cook in a French restaurant. Unfortunately I can't read French so I can't read the books.

Valued Contributor

@RedTop  I have my grandmother's Presbyterian church cookbook from the thirties.  Some of her recipes are in it.  I cherish it, but have never cooked from it.

Frequent Contributor

@house_cat I have the one with the pics on the cover did you ever make the chocolate crinkles yummy

Trusted Contributor

A cookbook that is about ninety years old or so.

An elderly friend gave it to me many years ago.

Honored Contributor

@Princesswife wrote:

@house_cat I have the one with the pics on the cover did you ever make the chocolate crinkles yummy

No, I have not. I've made the pinwheel cookies, not sure if that's the exact name and a couple of oatmeal cookies.  They were all very good. Now you have piqued my curiousity.. I'll have to take a look at them.  Hubby loves all things chocolate.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook, 1st ed., 1954