Honored Contributor

I ordered a glass of wine at a local resturant and LOVED it!  The reciept had the the brand of wine on the reciept and I bought some.  Not the same at all!  

Fluke or is there a reason ladies???

Image result for confused woman

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not positive but, if the wine was open & aerated it would taste different then a freshly opened bottle.  Or if chilled vs room temp, they taste different.  I always have one glass room temp, then I chill.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I'm not positive but, if the wine was open & aerated it would taste different then a freshly opened bottle.  Or if chilled vs room temp, they taste different.  I always have one glass room temp, then I chill.

@Mary Bailey 

Are you saying you chill after a glass of wine or you chill the wine? HA! Just kidding...😜🍷🤣

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Maybe it was a different vintage?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Years ago I enjoyed some burgandy wine at a local Italian restaurant and asked them what it was.  They gave me the name of some exotic brand I had never heard of.  I checked several stores in my city and even a major liquor store in Chicago.  None of these stores ever heard of it.  It took two more trips to the restaurant before they fessed up.  I had been served Carlo Rossi, you know, that stuff that comes in the gallon bottles.  That was their house wine.  In a way I was glad I had such inexpensive taste.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Well My Goodness!

[ Edited ]

I agree with @Desertdi  who said it was probably the vintage, the year the grapes were harvested.  Climate effects the minerals in the ground and the yield of the wine in many ways.  Also, sunshine matures grapes wonderfully, versus too much rain which can cause rot or loss of concentration.  That’s why when a wine is rated 90, for example, in the year 2014, you cannot assume that same great rating applies to the same wine in 2017.  Same wine, different year can yield very different tastes.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey Mary, It was chilled and I prefer chilled.  Go figure!

Honored Contributor

I'm assuming it was white because it was chilled.  Is it possible that even though the brand was correct, you bought the wrong kind of wine?  For example, did you order Pinot Grigio at the restaurant, but purchase Chardonnay at the store?

Super Contributor

I don’t order wine by the glass anymore, I never know for sure what I’m getting. I order by the bottle and have it opened at my table.

Respected Contributor

I hope the OP will forgive me for hijacking her post but I found out something about wine the other day that surprised me.  

I admit, my husband and I are not patrons of expensive restaurants where you are able to bring your own wine.    I've always heard about such places and assumed that you would be charged a small fee for them to open it.    I was talking to a friend the other day who had just come back from a trip to Vegas.  She and her husband had gone there with another couple to celebrate their wedding anniversary.   She told me that the couple had brought them a $100.00 bottle of wine to have with their dinner at a restaurant.  

I thought that was a nice thing to do and then she told me the restaurant charged them a $40.00 uncorking fee.   After my shock, she told me that most restaurants charge between $30.00 to $50.00 as an uncorking fee when you bring your own wine.  

I said to my husband, I think you and I must not live a very sophisticated life because there's no way that I would pay that kind of money.  I would just order a glass of the house wine and then open my wine in my own kitchen.   I also would never pay $100.00 for a bottle of wine.  

I guess if you have that kind of discretionary income and don't mind dropping a sizable amount of change for a waiter to just open your wine then have a nice evening.  For me, I couldn't even enjoy a glass after spending that amount of money.

I guess my husband and I are either frugal or just cheap.  Lol!