Super Contributor

We have an air fryer; thinking about an instant pot? Which is better?

We have a new air fryer, but am considering an instant pot. We like the air fryer well enough. If we have the air fryer, would the instant pot be kind of silly to also have..? Very limited counter space. 

Which one do you think is better, and why? Thakns so much!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: We have an air fryer; thinking about an instant pot? Which is better?

A pressure cooker serves an entirely different function from an air fryer.  The PCs they sell now even serve as slow cookers.  My PC is the most precious (to me) tool in my kitchen.  It's much more useful than an air fryer....hands down.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

No it’s not silly to have both. I have both the Ar Fryer and Cooker and use both. We got rid of the deep fryer, crock pot and electric skillet among other things to have room.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I got numerous pressure cookers to handle tough Texas beef

Air fryer to save on 'fats'. Hardly ever use a crock pot. Electric skillets you

can't drain the grease from them easily when your frying hamburgers or chicken.

I air fry wings, but, still want fried chicken once a week. Hubbo's got to have his cheeseburgers. Plain ol' aluminum skillet from Sam's is good

Honored Contributor

I don't have the instant pot or any pressure cookers.  I do love my air fryer (from QVC) and I have crock pots in two sizes which I also use a lot.  Each item serves a different purpose.  At this time, I don't think I have a need for a pressure cooker.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm still getting to know my air fryer, but it did a great job on David V's chicken cheesesteak eggrolls! I know I won't deep fry anything anymore. My year old instant pot is great for 30 minute chili, chicken stews, hard boiled eggs and making tough beef tender. However, there are just some things that require traditional cooking methods. On Saturday, when it was cold, rainy and raw, I just had to do my beef stew for 4 hours in my Dutch oven - oh the aroma! Hahaha!

Super Contributor

I know they are not the same thing, I guess I am just wondering which is more useful, all-around..? I suppose it doesn't really matter, as I already have the air fryer...I guess I am just wondering how much use I would get out of the instant pot, to justify having both, as I do love the air fryer.

So I guess I am just wondering which of the two some/most folks find more useful, say on a day to day basis, or for those who do have both, which one they find more useful..? I suppose, too, it depends on the individual person. 

I am thinking the instant pot will find a home in our kitchen someday. I am just trying to see if I can justify having both, when I do like my air fryer so well. Our microwave is mammoth and I was hoping to get rid of it, as it would be enoough room for BOTH the air fryer AND the instant pot, lol, but the man of the house won't part with the microwave. But if that beast ever breaks down.....an instant pot will find a home here, for sure!!   

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-momwrote:

I'm still getting to know my air fryer, but it did a great job on David V's chicken cheesesteak eggrolls! I know I won't deep fry anything anymore. My year old instant pot is great for 30 minute chili, chicken stews, hard boiled eggs and making tough beef tender. However, there are just some things that require traditional cooking methods. On Saturday, when it was cold, rainy and raw, I just had to do my beef stew for 4 hours in my Dutch oven - oh the aroma! Hahaha!

@PA Mom-mom, I googled that recipe; curious how you made those in the air fryer, the recipe I saw was for a traditional stove..? 

This is the one I found..:

http://www.qvc.com/ChickenCheesesteakEggRolls.content.html

Honored Contributor

@msh8970wrote:

I know they are not the same thing, I guess I am just wondering which is more useful, all-around..? I suppose it doesn't really matter, as I already have the air fryer...I guess I am just wondering how much use I would get out of the instant pot, to justify having both, as I do love the air fryer.

So I guess I am just wondering which of the two some/most folks find more useful, say on a day to day basis, or for those who do have both, which one they find more useful..? I suppose, too, it depends on the individual person. 

I am thinking the instant pot will find a home in our kitchen someday. I am just trying to see if I can justify having both, when I do like my air fryer so well. Our microwave is mammoth and I was hoping to get rid of it, as it would be enoough room for BOTH the air fryer AND the instant pot, lol, but the man of the house won't part with the microwave. But if that beast ever breaks down.....an instant pot will find a home here, for sure!!   

Those on this board know I rave about the Instant Pot, so I say get one,  

I don't fry foods so can't say anything about an Air Fryer,  

microwave you need to reheat food so I have to have one of those .

Use the IP for eggs, soup, 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebearwrote:

@msh8970wrote:

Those on this board know I rave about the Instant Pot, so I say get one,  

I don't fry foods so can't say anything about an Air Fryer,  

microwave you need to reheat food so I have to have one of those .

Use the IP for eggs, soup, 

@jackthebear  The first time I heard of an Instant Pot was the other day when viewing a recipe.  Is it a pressure cooker or same as,  or different?