Honored Contributor

When you're preparing a meal (with no children home, the planning, sadly, has had to leave).  

Do you ever look at a meal and need a choice to balance it?

What are your "go to's" to round out a meal?

I do fruit on a lettuce leaf with cheese maybe mayo added (popular from the 50's I, (we) always liked it; apple sauce; slaw; okra, tomatoes, and he gets corn, not me; or a rice dish if there isn't a starch in the meal.

Sometimes I'll do a salad on the side, he'll do beans.

Honored Contributor

Re: We Need A Little Somethin'

In a hurry?  Steamed broccoli; those wide flat green beans from a can; coleslaw; black bean and corn salad with a vinagrette; sauteed apples; carrot and raisin slaw or simply steamed carrots; green pea salad or kidney bean salad.  Stuff like that!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sliced cucumber with a bit of plain yogurt, or sour cream or mayo

with fresh chopped dill, salt and pepper (sometimes very thin sliced onion added).  Sliced beets (drained), a few pinches of dried oregano, basil, s&p, diced onion, garlic powder, onion powder, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Let it marinate in fridge or counter for 30 mins.

Also, french cut green beans (drained) with same ingredients as sliced beets.  My son and I as well as guests have enjoyed these side dishes.

Honored Contributor

I always have a green salad with my meal. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

ECBG, boy am I strolling down memory lane! My mom used to take canned pears and put them on a leaf of iceberg lettuce and put a dollop of mayo topped off with grated sharp cheddar. I loved it and was thinking about it the other day.

I adore salad and usually have a huge salad for lunch.....but only when it's warm (80's)

Call me crazy, but I don't want salad when it's cooler or cold....I always have green veggies-including cauliflower in the freezer.  I steam them, spritz evoo and Mrs. Dash.  Beans are another thing I always have (I love them: name a variety and I bet I have it!)

I always have rice on hand, and potatoes.

Stay warm,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

ECBG, boy am I strolling down memory lane! My mom used to take canned pears and put them on a leaf of iceberg lettuce and put a dollop of mayo topped off with grated sharp cheddar. I loved it and was thinking about it the other day.

I adore salad and usually have a huge salad for lunch.....but only when it's warm (80's)

Call me crazy, but I don't want salad when it's cooler or cold....I always have green veggies-including cauliflower in the freezer.  I steam them, spritz evoo and Mrs. Dash.  Beans are another thing I always have (I love them: name a variety and I bet I have it!)

Stay warm,

Poodlepet2

Oh how I hated that pear with mayo!  Gag.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  The pear salad I remember is a leaf of lettuce, pear half (cut side down)on top of lettuce, cottage cheese for the tail, raisins for the eyes and an almond for the nose.  What do you have???? A rabbit.......

My grandpa used to say; if we were supposed to eat lettuce, we'd be rabbits.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Stay warm,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2What made me chose those was "When you have a hot meal, there should always be a cool item.").  Think of salad and steak.

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@ECBG  The pear salad I remember is a leaf of lettuce, pear half (cut side down)on top of lettuce, cottage cheese for the tail, raisins for the eyes and an almond for the nose.  What do you have???? A rabbit.......

My grandpa used to say; if we were supposed to eat lettuce, we'd be rabbits.Smiley Happy

@3suwm5I remember that from my first cookbook.  That salad was a picture.

Esteemed Contributor

But what about chilled tomato aspic with a cube of butter on top?  A relative used to serve that.  To this day it makes me exhale loudly in distaste.

Cogito ergo sum