Super Contributor

The trouble with letting some one else cut you watermelon is that they do not wash the outside before slicing and you can get diseases. I let it sit on the counter were it will continue to ripen and then slice and put in fridge.

For the past 3 months our watermelon has been to die for.

I buy one every week and not a bad one in the bunch.

Trusted Contributor

I look at the bottom of the watermelon, where the yellow spot is.  If it is a large spot, it means it had a chance to ripen in the field.  I guess my hearing isn't as keen as some people because thumping doesn't help me pick a good melon.  Since I started using this guide, I've had wonderful watermelon.

Now, honeydew is something else.  I still haven't found a for sure way of picking a ripe honeydew. Any ideas?

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

@wismiss  Honeydews ripen on the counter after picking. I buy the largest melons and let them sit on the counter for a week or so until ready to slice. You can tell by looking at them that they are ready. Put into the refrigerator after slicing or when you are interested in stopping the ripening process.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Keybra.  I'll have to try that.  Honeydew is one of my favorite fruits.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

My mom loves sugar babes, watermelons.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.