Occasional Contributor

I just purchased the Vitamix TSV. It is due to arrive right when I have company here, so am trying to get myself a little educated ahead of time, in case we all want to experiment together with a few drinks and some simple soups / dips for a lunch one of the days (won't have time to practice alone ahead of time). Or- is that a terrible idea ?

I have a few questions, if anyone cares to answer some (or all) of them. TIA.

1. I don't recall the TSV setup (the GC 48 oz w/ spatula pkg) exactly, but yesterday I noticed the QVC listing does NOT include a DVD in the typed product description or in the pictures. The reviews that show now (from when it was TSV a year ago) have several folks mentioning the helpful DVD. I am guessing it was the "Let's Get Started" class DVD, which I read somewhere talks about importance of the order you fill the pitcher, chopping hints, etc... not just the same recipe demo's already seen in the sales presentation. Does anyone know if THIS time's TSV will have the DVD (and maybe they just don't mention it) ? I couldn't seem to find it as a standalone purchase on the Vitamix website in their cookbook area, nor on ebay yesterday.

2. I get that I purchased a 48oz size pitcher and the Creations cookbook (and online Vitamix website) recipes are written for 64 oz. So, for a soup recipe that makes right at 4 cups, how much "buffer" space do I need to leave in the pitcher, and how much liquid should be eliminated from the recipe to make it fit (w/out getting the spices etc out of proportion). For example, the pumpkin soup online on Vitamix has 1 cup broth, 1/4 cup coconut milk, and 1.5 cups pumpkin. Is this going to be a pain to reduce everything by just a smidge and hope it turns out OK ? I saw some other recipes that make 6 cups and those I can easily just cut in half... but I don't know how much air space for whirling I need to leave at the top.

3. I will need to get used to the idea of INCLUDING things like apple seeds, apple stems, grape seeds, pineapple rind, pineapple core etc in smoothies. Are Smoothies the ONLY place you leave those types of "husk / core / seed" things included ? I see in the online Vitamix recipes for applesauce- it says "SEEDED" apples. I gather that is because you are not whirling the applesauce as fast /high as you do a smoothie you are trying to liquify ?

4. In a related question (to # 3), online on Vitamix I see the Basic Green Smothie, and it calls for pre-chopped celery. I thought ( but am not positive) I saw on air a whole stalk of celery in the smoothies. That was supposed to be the beauty of the strong machine. I get halving or quartering some fruits... but I was surprised to see CHOPPED celery be the ingredient for a smoothie. Would you start the recipe by pre-chopping the celery in the vitamix (isn't it supposed to be able to do that ?), and then add the listed ingredients in the correct order ?

5. If anyone has any other Rookie No-No's or helpful hints via the Voice Of Experience - I would love to hear them !! Really looking forward to receiving this machine. Thanks anyone / everyone for reading this far !!