Respected Contributor

I agree with the others. You should have posted the recipe you used. The one I use is very simple:

2 parts frozen fruit
1 part liquid (milk, cream, etc.)
sweetener

For example, 2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 cup milk and a little honey or stevia.

If it's too soupy, add more frozen fruit. If it's too hard, add more liquid.

Regular Contributor

I have used the recipe in the Vitamix book that came with the machine many times and had perfect results... The one thing to NOT DO....is leave the machine on too long. It is an amazing machine with so much power that the minute you hear the sound change...STOP. It is finished. Any longer and the friction of the blades will melt your ice cream...

Frequent Contributor

I tried the recipe on QVC and yes, if you let it run too long it will be a thin consistency. Here is the recipe (any tips are welcomed):

<h3>Vanilla Ice Cream</h3>

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cold half and half
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 lbs of 2% milk frozen ice cubes

Directions:

Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid. Select Variable 1.

Turn machine on and quickly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. Use the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades. In about 30–40 seconds, the sound of the motor will change and 4 mounds should form.

Stop machine. Do not over mix or melting will occur. Serve immediately.

Recipe provided by Vitamix.

Frequent Contributor

The basic rule of thumb recommended by Vitamix, and Vitamix demonstrators, is 3 cups of frozen to 1 cup of non-frozen. That's what I use and it has always worked.

For example, when making strawberry ice cream I use 3 cups of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of cream, sweetener to taste (honey, sugar, stevia, etc.) and a little almond extract. (Sometimes, I use yogurt for my 1 cup of non-frozen.)

Always use your tamper, and never over-process. 47 to 60 seconds should do it.

Contributor

Thanks everyone for the comments:

I have the Professional 750 series and it comes with the presets.

I used 1 cup yogurt and 3 cups frozen fruit. The machine made was not doing anything so I added very little milk. Still needed a straw. The reason I got the preset one is so I could walk away and let the machine work

Super Contributor
On 1/30/2015 mandylee said:

Thanks everyone for the comments:

I have the Professional 750 series and it comes with the presets.

I used 1 cup yogurt and 3 cups frozen fruit. The machine made was not doing anything so I added very little milk. Still needed a straw. The reason I got the preset one is so I could walk away and let the machine work

If you want to walk away and make ice cream I would get a Blendtec as it is made to do that whereas Vitamix still needs tamper.

If you have any questions about this search youtube for this video by Henry PJ "Vitamix 750 Chocolate "Vegan-style" Ice Cream" or even "Vitamix 750 Fruit Sorbet"

To see the Blendtec watch this video "Popeye IceCream"

To compare VM & Blendtec search youtube for

"Vitamix vs Blendtec- Epic Ice Cream Test!"

If you want to walk away and just make ice cream, is it too late to return the 750 ?

"