Super Contributor

Vitamix- Any Model Comparisons?

I'm really interested in a Vitamix, but when I see all the different models Q offers it makes my head spin. Is there anywhere you can go to see an at-a-glance comparison? Some models are 48 oz, some are 64, some are 15-in-1, some are 12-in-1...

There are so many models, how do I find out which is the best buy for me? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Mainly interested in it for making smoothies from fruits and veggies but once my diet opens up (just had gallbladder removed) I would make other things.

Respected Contributor

Re: Vitamix- Any Model Comparisons?

I don't know about a side by side comparison, but from posters here, I made sure and bought a model with variable speeds. I am also very glad I got the 48 ounce size as it's big enough for our needs and is very easy to clean. If you are mostly going to make smoothies for one or two, I think the smaller size would work well. I have K38242.

Honored Contributor

I would suggest that you purchase one with variable speeds. I have one that only has 2 speeds and are both speeds are so fast that it purees everything. I am extremely disappointed in the model that I have. It's just an overpriced super blender.

What I do like about mine is the fact that it came with both a wet and dry container. I use the dry container more than the wet one for bread crumbs and for making gluten free flour.

Super Contributor

There are comparisons online. Do a google search & you should find them. That is how I decided which model to buy. QVC has a TSV coming up in Feb.

Super Contributor

I just upgraded to the 6000 with the built in timer and pulse. Had the smaller unit with blender but is closer to the professional model. See the Tsv listed wish I knew the model etc
Trusted Contributor

I just got am older model 5000 which was given to me. It doesn't have the timer, but it does have variable speed. Not totally familiar yet with all the things I can do, but so far, I like it. Had a Ninja before which I used mostly for smoothies (which I have every morning) but the Vitamix does make a much more smooth drink! My unit has the 64 oz container which I think I will upgrade to a smaller one - it's a bit cumbersome. Also the lid is very very tight and I have a difficult time getting it off - hoping that in time it will soften a bit.

Frequent Contributor

DO NOT buy a non-variable version! If you are going to invest in a Vitamix, you need to invest in a variable speed model to take full advantage of the Vitamix technology and power.

BTW, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND going to www.vitamix.com and checkout a reconditioned "standard" model!!! I picked up a 5200 for $299 in like new condition and have been using it regularly.....not a problem!!! It still comes with a standard 5 year warranty with a 30 day return guarantee. The same model here at Q sells for $499. I saved $200 in the process, have a like new Vitamix and could not be happier. The 64 oz container, lid and tamper are new....so is the recipe book. Not a mark on the base.

Frequent Contributor

Also, on Vitamix.com you can compare all of their models.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will wait until the Feb TSV and hope it's a good model. I found it interesting that many of you preferred the 48 oz, I would have thought 64 but now I will go with 48. Also good to know about the variable speeds! I saw all of the models on Vitamix.com but did not see an easy side-by-side comparison.

Respected Contributor

I think many prefer the wet 48oz because it fits under cabinets.