Trusted Contributor

I've been having fun for the last couple of weeks viewing YouTube videos on vintage appliances, stoves in particular.

It's amazing that the basic design for kitchen ranges has remained fairly stable for the last 70 years or so.  It has been fun looking through collections and finding stoves that were the kind my mom used while I was growing up. 

Appliances always conveyed with the house.  My dad and mom moved a few times while I was growing up, so these were things that came with the house, not something she picked out; but I remember a stove with a "deep well" cooker, and one that had push buttons for the burners.

Take a stroll down memory lane with this gentleman who collects vintage appliances, with a specialty in electric ranges.  Several of them look very familiar to me.

Range Room Tour Vintage Stove Collection

by Cavalcade of Food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hemiGnhsJk0

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker 

I can remember a stove with a deep cooker on top of the stove.  Dad built it when I was 2.  We moved from that house when I was 7.

Trusted Contributor

4E6AA6D1-9C1D-42F2-884B-DFCA6A754FDE.jpeg

My sixties Westinghouse range I still cook on. When we redid the kitchen DH wanted to replace it. You can see who won.  I love the two ovens.  DW 

Honored Contributor

I remember mother having a stove in one of the places we lived that had a deep well but I don't remember her ever using it.  The concept really was pretty dumb.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman. Your stove looks absolutely perfect.  No need to replace if it works well.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Vintage Stoves

[ Edited ]

I agree with @Kachina624 . Your stove is immaculate.  I'm at number 4 in 40 years of marriage. The latest one is about 5 years old and yours looks better! Recently the brand tag fell off and I found out a drop of hot glue is what they used to stick it on.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Vintage Stoves

[ Edited ]

@KBEANS  @Kachina624  My sister has an expensive range she had put in when she redid her kitchen the same yr we did ours...hers is computerized...well she didn't have an oven for 6 mos one time and again for 4 months..something with the circuit board...yeah...no computers in mine...had an oven element go at one time and they are surprisingly easy to find...it weighs a ton....thanks for the compliments....DW

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the video but was disappointed that not one of his many stoves had a lidded grill in the center like my mom's range which we used often.

Respected Contributor

I would love to have a stove just like Jessica Fletcher's in Murder She Wrote.  It is my fantasy stove........F8E8BB8F-2DFE-46C2-9B0E-11856C1366C8.jpeg

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

@dancingwoman 

Whatta great cook nook - I love how you designed your cooking space, it's cheery, artsy and unique....I  S T R O N G L Y  suspect you are too!!!!